Default Re: A dangerous patent for "self-grounding" receptacle outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    A dangerous patent for "self-grounding" receptacle outlet:

https://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters...&letterID=2223

Agree is dangerous defeats the entire point of keeping separate grounding and neutral. hopefully never allowed to be put into practice. Maybe anyone can go to US patent site and file a complaint, they may not since do not see as a regulating body but maybe can revoke the patent ? Should not be allowed to be manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    A dangerous patent for "self-grounding" receptacle outlet:

I see questionable stuff for sale at the big orange box and the big blue box fairly regularly. How long before these devices are available in the bins immediately next to an approved device? I don't believe that most of the folks who purchase stuff at the home centers are likely to look closely enough at products to find out if they are listed.

The alternative is that they will begin selling them through online retailers. "Hey, it's patented. It must be okay."

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

There is almost nothing you can do to stop stupidity and underhanded contractors.

I rewired an entire house that the owners had paid someone else to re-wire. Turns out the owners were after grounded receptacles and the contractor simply jumperd the grounded conductor to the ground screw.

I took pictures of every violation I found on the job and the owners still had to take the other contractor to court. I guess the other contractor could claim prior art and sue if it ever got into production. Then the owners could get their lawsuit settled.

Unfortunately, discussing US Patent Office issues gets us into politics.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    [/FONT]

I see questionable stuff for sale at the big orange box and the big blue box fairly regularly. How long before these devices are available in the bins immediately next to an approved device? I don't believe that most of the folks who purchase stuff at the home centers are likely to look closely enough at products to find out if they are listed.

The alternative is that they will begin selling them through online retailers. "Hey, it's patented. It must be okay."
    Why was thinking if could get the patent withdrawn for dangerous device, not sure if would, but if could that may prevent them investing in manufacturing them ?

Self Grounding Receptacles have been around and available for decades ! They are nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by jack davenport View Post
    Self Grounding Receptacles have been around and available for decades ! They are nothing new.
    Not "self-grounding" in the way those are "self--grounding".

Those are designed to "self-ground" the neutral to the ground so as to be installed in an ungrounded circuit and provide a "ground" to a grounded plug ... by way of being bootlegged back to the bonded neutral terminal to ground.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think "self-electrocuting" rather than "self-grounding" would be a better description.

But, that might not look so good on the packaging.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/