Default Hi. I am new. I would appreciate any help I can get. Specifically...

Hi to you all. I have recently started to do Commercial inspections for a Nationwide company and I am based in Brooklyn, NY. My eventual goal, after getting enough experience and knowledge under my belt is to pass by the third parties and to be able to deal directly with the Insurance companies myself, but I am not ready for that yet. Here's a few things I am reaching out to this forum for, as I am trying to get help being a beginner in the business. (I have done 17 inspections so far.)

1- I could use as much help to learn how to figure out the what the exterior walls are made of, the interior walls, the floors, and the roof and its covering. What's the secret here? How in the world can I figure this stuff out? Please advise. (I know the basics, but that doesn't get me too far. I am looking to those with experience that could please give me a good idea how to get this information correctly.)

2- Based on seeing previous reports on the properties that I inspected, I found that the previous inspectors weren't so meticulous in reporting everything. For instance they didn't report that breakers were missing in the electric panel. They didn't report a lack of smoke detectors, and a lack of emergency lights. Many places had congestion and they weren't reported. Hanging wires were ignored as was the fact that a super had a bed in the basement. I found myself making many more recommendations than the previous inspector from a year or two before. What am I doing right or wrong? How much should I be "seeing" and how much shouldn't I "see"? Fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, exit signs, are very frequently missing, yet I didn't notice it being reported on the previous inspection. Does an inspector really test each battery detector to see if it is working? I bet half of them don't have batteries in them. Should I really be reading the PSI level on BOTH gauges by the sprinkler system? Should I be counting and reporting how many spare sprinkle heads there are? What's the rule of thumb here as far as just how meticulous an inspector must be?

3- Are there any really good training courses "out there" that are recommended. I am currently taking the VIITA online course. I find it good, but I wonder if there's more extensive training available, that doesn't cost a fortune that can be recommended? Specifically looking to do Commercial inspections of simple mixed-use type of buildings. Apartment houses. Restaurants. Not super high-rise buildings, or super complex type of commercial buildings. Just for the basics.

4. Finally, once I have enough experience, is it difficult to get work directly with Insurance companies? (I believe that that's where the real money is.) Can someone with experience please comment on that.

As I am new to this forum, I hope to hear some good advice from fellow inspectors. I thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Sam Brown.

OREP Insurance

Thanks for posting here and welcome to InspectionNews!

You will find a ton of information here but don't forget about the Member Benefits too.

Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Hi. I am new. I would appreciate any help I can get. Specifically...

There are too many types of "commercial" inspections to list how to discover the construction methods and materials.
    Based on your location NYC - are you doing multi unit dwellings, office, warehouse, etc?
    If you want to talk you can reach out to me, I built homes and strip centers in NJ, PA, DE & MD and did some work in the city many moons ago....

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Default Re: Hi. I am new. I would appreciate any help I can get. Specifically...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    There are too many types of "commercial" inspections to list how to discover the construction methods and materials.
    Based on your location NYC - are you doing multi unit dwellings, office, warehouse, etc?
    If you want to talk you can reach out to me, I built homes and strip centers in NJ, PA, DE & MD and did some work in the city many moons ago....
    Jeff,
    Thanks so much for responding. I didn't look back at this site until this evening.
    You offer is very kind.
    Mainly I am doing multi-family, and mixed-use - smaller OLDER buildings. I can't tell for beans what the heck the walls are made of or the ceilings, or the roof. The outer weight bearing walls I can pretty much figure out but that's about it. I will look up your info on your web site and be in touch. Again, thank you very much.
    Sam Brown