Default Missing a neutral feeder (secondary panel)

DSCN0487.JPGThis is a secondary distribution panel 100 amp Square D, two hot wires coming off the 2 pole 100 amp breaker in the main service panel. I found that the secondary panel only has three wires coming in and it appears to be two hot and one ground. My question is why is there no neutral wire coming in or is the service wire not labeled correctly with white tape. The grounds and neutral are not separated on the bus bars as you can see in the pictures, so that's why I'm calling out is the equipment grounds should be separated in a AKA sub-panel and that electrician is needed to evaluate. Should I call out only having 3 feeder for a panel in the same building ? (I don't know when the panel was installed, to comply with the 2008 4 feeder code, both panel are installed on the same building)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 10-14-2020 at 04:03 AM. Reason: more pictures
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Missing a neutral feeder (secondary panel)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    This is a secondary distribution panel 100 amp Square D, two hot wires coming off the 2 pole 100 amp breaker in the main service panel. I found that the secondary panel only has three wires coming in and it appears to be two hot and one ground. My question is why is there no neutral wire coming in or is the service wire not labeled correctly with white tape. The grounds and neutral are not separated on the bus bars as you can see in the pictures, so that's why I'm calling out is the equipment grounds should be separated in a AKA sub-panel and that electrician is needed to evaluate. Should I call out only having 3 feeder for a panel in the same building ? (I don't know when the panel was installed, to comply with the 2008 4 feeder code, both panel are installed on the same building)
    Neutral and ground have been required to be separated long before 2008. The change in 2008 applied to detached structures. EGC and neutral can be bonded together only at the service equipment. This has been a requirement for many years. Probably as long as EGCs have been required.

Basically, the distribution panel should have had 4 conductors. Two ungrounded (hot), one grounded (neutral) and one equipment grounding conductor (ground/EGC). EGC should be bonded to the panel enclosure and the neutral should be isolated from the EGC and panel enclosure.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Missing a neutral feeder (secondary panel)

Can't tell from the photos or information given, but my guess is that is the original service equipment.

That could account for the ininsulated neutral conductor (which also served as the grounding conductor in the service entrance conductors).

With the other panel added later.

A possibility?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com