Default Service panel 200A, main breaker 100A.

This is a 200A load center with a 200A main that is not connected. The panel is fed by 100A feeder wire and 100A breaker. The panel cover labels the 100A breaker as "main breaker" and labels the 200A breaker as "not main breaker".

Is this OK?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Service panel 200A, main breaker 100A.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    This is a 200A load center with a 200A main that is not connected.
    I would write that up in the report as recommend electrical contractor to remove and insert blank covers in the breaker spaces so that the main will 200 amp breaker is no longer present and available for someone to connect the service entrance conductors to. Then add:

The panel is fed by 100A feeder wire and 100A breaker. The panel cover labels the 100A breaker as "main breaker" ...
    I'm curious as to what all those twisted bare copper ground wires are from, and that there are two of them in a fitting likely labeled for one conductor. There is likely more than just the 'two twisted conductors' in a terminal listed for one conductor as the 'two twisted conductors' are more than likely 'many conductors twisted together in two bundles and the terminal is not rated for that many conductors (try to count how many actual separate ground conductors are in each twisted bundle and put that as 'we counted what looks like at least ... ground conductor twisted in each twisted bundle').

I also don't see a bonding strap or bonding screw bonding that neutral terminal bar to the enclosure.

That's for starters before my eyes glazed over from looking at that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Using a higher rated panel than the service size is fine.

The issues I see are the lack of a breaker holddown on the 100. Possible bus stab limits exceeded across from the 100 and the doubled conductors in the left lug. I do not know where the bond screw would be. The label should show it.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Using a higher rated panel than the service size is fine.
    Correct ... but ...

Leaving that 200 amp breaker in place is asking for future trouble when someone moves the service entrance conductors from the 100 amp breaker (which has issues as you pointed out) to that 200 amp breaker.

Which is why I said it should be addressed in the report. If for no other reason than for the potential liability for the inspector ... not to mention the potential liability for the owner (which actually is the potential liability for the inspector).

The HI is not, as is often said, "a code inspector". "Code" inspectors are restricted to the minimum requirements of the codes.

Keep in mind that codes are nothing more than the most unsafe one is legally allowed to build something. Does the HI want to hang their hat on that?

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-25-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: stray "." instead of a " "
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't know if I'd mention the 200 AMP breaker or not. You can't stop stupid people. AND, I've tried to put a replacement main in some of these panels and the lugs broke loose when torqued to spec. I'd rather have the 200 AMP Main factory installed if the rest of the service ever gets upgraded. Just include pictures of what's there in the report and they can be compared to any future issues concerning the 200 AMP breaker.

And yeah, the 100 needs a hold down.

The twisted copper wires are the grounding conductors from numerous NM-B cables, you can count the visible bare conductors attached to the buss and compare to the number of cables present. Probably the easiest fix is installing additional buss bars in the top of the panel rather than extending all the individual wires.

It appears many of the cables are run through Arlington NM-B connectors at the top. These are listed for 2 cables (can be mixed sizes) but some of these appear to have 3, maybe 4 cables in them.

I see a screw just above the bottom neutral on the right side that appears green to me, and it's where I'd expect to see a bonding strap/terminal if there was one - can't see it well enough to be sure though. Extensive looking sees no bonding screws or terminal/strap anywhere..

The panel installation violates a bunch of rules.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.