Default Fiber cement siding - cracks and large gaps

Had to edit. Text vanished.

Trying to identify the fiber cement siding on a home I inspected today. It has excessive butt joint gaps and cracking scattered about.

I'm familiar with the Certainteed Weatherboard class action, but siding on this particular home is not the Weatherboard. Siding on this particular home is smooth, unlike the Weatherboard.
    The Certainteed class action states, "...WeatherBoards? Fiber Cement Siding, Lap Siding..." Could this mean Certainteed has a lap siding that is not the Weatherboard that has the wood grain?

I just read there is another class action with Allura siding, but I can't find photos to potentially identify.

005 (Medium).JPG

004 (Medium).JPG

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Randall Clark; 11-10-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Text cut off
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fiber cement siding - cracks and large gaps

Randall,

I am having trouble figuring out why you are asking about defects. Those pics look like installation issues rather than a problem with the product.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Randall,

I am having trouble figuring out why you are asking about defects. Those pics look like installation issues rather than a problem with the product.
    If you've seen the Certainteed siding installed that is covered under the class action, you'll notice these defects look the same. Cracking in random places (about 30+ on this home and not around window/door openings where siding was cut), is a potential manufacturer defect.

Hi Randall,

To the best of my knowledge, I have only seen a single example of CertainTeed fiber-cement shingles. Pretty much any fiber-cement siding around here is Hardie. I do see the occasional crack at windows/doors, but not anywhere near 30+.

Thank you for the information. Yet another faulty product that I was unaware of.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/