Default GFCI/AFCI testing question

It's been a looooooong week so maybe the brain is totally dead here... but here it goes:

- There is an office room at the front left of the house which is adjacent to the kitchen.

- When i was checking the office room's receptacle outlets with a 120V AC receptacle tester
    with a GFCI push test button to see if there were any open ground, neutrals, etc., I
    accidentally pushed the GFCI test button.

- I was surprised to see that all the outlets in the office were GFCI protected as they tripped
    off when I pushed the test button.

Could it be possible that the office room's AFCIs could be tripped with a GFCI tester? Could this be an indication of an issue with the AFCIs?

Thanks for any insight!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: GFCI/AFCI testing question

Roy, Sounds like they made the formal dining room an office. Since it is adjacent to the kitchen I think that's what happened. Dining rooms & breakfast nooks will have GFCI outlets in newer homes.
    I think your tester is OK.

How did you restore power to the receptacle outlets in this room?

Some outlet testers will trip certain AFCI breakers. I thought that problem was old and forgotten, but who knows.

It's possible the breaker was a combo GFCI/AFCI breaker.

I would bet that it was protected with a GFCI device for some other reason. I have a few receptacles in my new house that are protected that aren't required just because it was easier to use a GFCI/AFCI combo breaker for the entire circuit instead of splitting them up with local GFCI protection.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Some early, and some possibly current, AFCIs have a built-in GFCI that is not the "personal protection" variety. That is, they trip at a higher level but, they trip with the same tester.

These are not the same animal as an AFCI/GFCI combo breaker where the GFCI part of the breaker can be used to protect receptacles.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Some early, and some possibly current, AFCIs have a built-in GFCI that is not the "personal protection" variety. That is, they trip at a higher level but, they trip with the same tester.

These are not the same animal as an AFCI/GFCI combo breaker where the GFCI part of the breaker can be used to protect receptacles.
    It can be a real issue at times,trying to figure out were the reset button is.

The AFCI device is usually the breaker for the circuit.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.