Default Fuel Pipe On Gas water Heater

I was curious about this setup were the water heater fuel pipe connects into the main flue pipe from the furnace. Any thoughts, house was built in 1986 id that helps any

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Fuel Pipe On Gas water Heater

Sam,

It looks like that is a single-walled connector that someone modified. To the best of my knowledge, modifying/drilling connectors is not allowed.

I do see tee fittings on heater/water heater shared gas vent pipes and have been told that tees are acceptable, but I believe all I have seen are B-vent tees, not single-walled.

The mineral staining is also an indication that moisture is condensing on the interior of the gas vent pipe or connector. As the condensed moisture is somewhat acidic, it will eventually rust out the metal.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Cool Re: Fuel Pipe On Gas water Heater

Cheezy installation but not illegal to use a tee in conditioned space. Hart & Cooley B-vent showing signs condensation as well as singled walled. One joint def. not properly engaged. Need 3 screws per joint equidistantly spaced.

I recommend replacing tee with a flue wye and reconfigure that pipe to the WH so the joints overlap min. 1"

Need combustion analysis to determine if appliances underfired.

Is B-vent rotted in attic or above roof? If so, replace.

Most B-vent expected to last 20 yrs max. with draft hood appliances but lucky to get 10 yrs with 80%'ers.

L vent better than B-vent. SS inner liner doesn't cool stack as badly as aluminum, rated 1,400F flash fire and will last.

Connector improperly supported

Keep the fire in the fireplace.