Default Federal Pacific Panel

I haven't seen a fused type Federal Pacific electrical panel before, I've always defected the Stab-Lok type breaker panels, are the fuse type also known not to trip ?? ThanksDSCN4745.JPGDSCN4744.JPGDSCN4743.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Federal Pacific Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    I haven't seen a fused type Federal Pacific electrical panel before, I've always defected the Stab-Lok type breaker panels, are the fuse type also known not to trip ?? ThanksDSCN4745.JPGDSCN4744.JPGDSCN4743.JPG
    Sam,

Since fuses don't "trip", they will not have any of the problems (or benefits) of circuit breakers. Fuses use a thin strip of metal that will fail if excessive current is run through it. This is different from the issues that the circuit breakers have. In addition, replacement fuses are not brand-specific. So, one brand should perform just as well as another.

The problems with the Stab-Lok circuit breakers was within the circuit breaker design and an alleged mechanical defect that resulted in failure to trip.

The primary issue (in my opinion) is that fuses are not homeowner-resistant. Here in the U.S., we generally regard that "bigger is better", so a 30 amp fuse will (in this incorrect thought) perform better than the 15 amp fuse that keeps "blowing". So, a homeowner (or tenant) will often replace a "blown" fuse with an oversized fuse that could result in damaging the wire insulation and cause a fire.

Also, when circuit breakers supply 240 v to an appliance, both sides of the circuit are interrupted when the breaker "trips" or is turned-off. This is not the case with a fuse. One fuse in a 240 volt circuit can fail or be removed, leaving power provided to the appliance. This is hazardous to anyone working on the appliance.

Sorry, got off track.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Default Re: Federal Pacific Panel

All Gunnar says is true. Two-three caveats:

First, on the positive side, if you're talking plug fuses, edison-base fuses can have fustat adapters inserted. You can bypass these, but you can't overfuse them without more work than the homeowner is likely to undertake. And if they or an unhandyman do back these out, they can't pretend that they're not chewing up what's there.

Second, on the negative, Stablok fuseboxes will be on the ancient side. Fuses are reliable; fuseholders and bus are not, after enough years.

Third, I just don't know when the crooked dealing began at Federal. I know the major scandal associated with hoodwinking the inspectors came in long after an earlier prosecution or at any rate being caught for other shenanigans involving unauthorized application of UL certification marks.