Default Advise.....Dented top cap at seam of new E~water heater.

Just want to touch base wiith the expertise here. I have a new water heater that came out of the box dented on a seam at the top cap of the cylinder. I've read that if there was no internal damage it is purely insulation and cosmetic. But the seam is pushed in about an inch at he top plate cap seam, right on a fastening screw, the top plate is also wrinkled. I am stuck on a call to Rheem for an hour, now no body home, after 5:00 it is now and on a Friday night. My client's did'nt object too much not having hot water, so I am inclined to use it and watch for leaks and function and hope for the best. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hello George Hilton,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Advise.....Dented top cap at seam of new E~water heater.

[QUOTE=Brian Hannigan;287643]Hello George Hilton,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits[/QUOTEThanks Brian]

Quote Originally Posted by George Hilton View Post
    Just want to touch base wiith the expertise here. I have a new water heater that came out of the box dented on a seam at the top cap of the cylinder. I've read that if there was no internal damage it is purely insulation and cosmetic. But the seam is pushed in about an inch at he top plate cap seam, right on a fastening screw, the top plate is also wrinkled. I am stuck on a call to Rheem for an hour, now no body home, after 5:00 it is now and on a Friday night. My client's did'nt object too much not having hot water, so I am inclined to use it and watch for leaks and function and hope for the best. Thanks.
    George,

I know of no way to determine if the tank is damaged or not. My understanding is that most water heaters consist of steel tanks are lined with a coating of glass or plastic. It seems to me that if that glass lining was damaged by whatever impacted the outer jacket, the tank will rust out more quickly. I have been told that the glass will crack over time, particularly close to the burners, which will also result in failure.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    George,

My understanding is that most water heaters consist of steel tanks are lined with a coating of glass or plastic.
    The last I heard (at a CE conference from a water heater manufacturer some years ago) the sprayed-on coating inside the inner steel vessel has gotten very thin. And it doesn't coat the welded seam very well, so its a vulnerable area.

Not sure if the OP is a plumber or installer, but if in doubt, swap it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    George,

I know of no way to determine if the tank is damaged or not. My understanding is that most water heaters consist of steel tanks are lined with a coating of glass or plastic. It seems to me that if that glass lining was damaged by whatever impacted the outer jacket, the tank will rust out more quickly. I have been told that the glass will crack over time, particularly close to the burners, which will also result in failure.
    Thanks for the responses. I have a dilemma in that the homeowner, my neighbor, was told a time to fix this, and I've just rented the house to them. So as the OP, I can't get another one until Tuesday, it's now Saturday, I am awaiting a call back from the hardware store owner telling me the damage is coverable under warranty or to bring it back, for a refund. Thank you all!