Default Inspecting the same double wide model with the same problems

I have inspected 5 double wide trailers all manufactured by the same company. #6 coming up this week. All basically the same and the same problems crop up for all of them. Faulty windows, plumbing leaks, etc. Can't see much underneath because of the black plastic covering joists, plumbing, etc. Seeking some advise here. If you had seen these recurring issues with these homes, would you mention it in a report for the next one you inspected? They are prone water supply leaks and if you didn't see any evidence of it and can't see beyond the black plastic, but you have seen problems on several in the past, would you say something?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Inspecting the same double wide model with the same problems

I inspected homes as they were, not what their neighbors were, or the last one I inspected by the same builder.
    I would not include past experiences with other homes.
    To make a comment that because there have been past leaks, you may have a problem, even though I don't see any leaks today.
    For all you know, they may have changed plumbers, or workers installing plumbing, and took care of the issue. For you to muddy the waters over a non existent problem (no active leak today) is not a good idea IMHO.

I agree with Jack, if you mention anything about the other homes you risk opening not just a can of worms but this one may have alligators!

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

However ...

You use your knowledge from previous inspections to help you find the things at each new which you usually find from the same manufacturer or contractor/builder.

If you know it's there, do your best to find it.

If you think its there but can't find it, include a list of what many inspectors call 'maintenance items' and include those items as typical maintenance issues which can occur over time.

I have seen some 'maintenance items' lists that tried to cover everything the inspectors could think of to include.

That way you can't be accused 'picking on that manufacturer for potential things', you are just reporting typical items which can be expected in manufactured homes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com