Lightbulb what code does it violates to install an AC condenser on the balcony

This for Single family in California.

A contractor insists to install an AC condenser on the balcony (2nd floor) without getting any evaluation or calculation by a structure engineer . I think he is wrong but he insists he is right unless I can provide a code for it . I'm sure someone here knows if off the top of their head. Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hello Joy Meng,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: what code does it violates to install an AC condenser on the balcony

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Meng View Post
    A contractor insists to install an AC condenser on the balcony (2nd floor) without getting any evaluation or calculation by a structure engineer . I think he is wrong but he insists he is right unless I can provide a code for it . I'm sure someone here knows if off the top of their head. Thanks for the help.
    There are many unknowns in your question (balcony material, etc.)
    The code requires the product to be installed in accordance to the listed/labeled specs, and that all clearances are met. Those provisions are quite long.

Most municipalities require a permit for an A/C installation, so his proposal would need to meet the requirements of the local building department as well.

And FWIW, many condensing units weigh less then 200 pounds, some gas grills are heavier than that.

Default Re: what code does it violates to install an AC condenser on the balcony

If this is existing construction and you are adding to the existing system, you own the property, call another contractor who is willing to work with what their customer (you) wants and doesn't want.

If it is new construction you are buying and that us not in the model or plans you saw and bought from, don't accept the change (I wouldn't want a condenser unit on my balcony either - too noisy).

Plus the things Dom mentioned.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you Dom and Jerry.

It is existing construction. the balcony is wood structure. I am trying to find what code it violates. As I know, no matter what weight an equipment has, it requires a structure engineer's report and a permit in order to be legally installed on an balcony. I am looking for related regulation/ code number.

I am also trying to find out the code for minimum space requirement between the wall and the condenser. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Meng View Post
    As I know, no matter what weight an equipment has, it requires a structure engineer's report and a permit in order to be legally installed on an balcony.
    And that comes from where?

Balconies, as with any exterior element, needs to be engineered to stay in place under the loads placed on it (wind, snow, etc).

Balconies, and all floor surfaces, are required to be designed to meet at least minimum required floor loads.

I'm not aware of a requirement for engineering any load placed on a floor.

Hanging mechanical equipment, or any such additional load on trusses, does require the trusses to be engineered for that additional load.

Trusses are a completely different animal with completely different loads in their design than floors and floor loads.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com