Default Shingle Wear at Eaves

So, I know the shingles are old and the roof will need replacement, that is not the issue here. My question is about wear between shingles only at the eaves. I see it a lot. This is true for the newer "architectural"/laminated shingles as well as the old 3-tab.

Under the first course at the eaves, there is a starter strip. But, in many, many cases, this is completely worn-through and I can see the roof sheathing. But, only the first course. I have not seen this type of wear in the field shingles. In this particular case, the starter strip was completely deteriorated at the gap between shingle panels. When I lifted the leading edge of the shingles, the starter strip was more brittle than the shingles and crumbled when I touched it. But, there are often small gaps between shingles in the field and I do not recall ever seeing this type of damage at one higher up on the roof.

This is (at least as far as I have ever noticed) always above the eaves of south, and occasionally west facing planes of the roof. We get a fair amount of morning clouds/fog around here during the summer, so the east facing planes see less wear (and north, but for a different reason); and the south and west facing will get the brunt of the hot sun during the day. I figure that the sun plays a big part in this damage, but it isn't the whole story or the damage would be more spread out.

Is this simply because the rolled material used for the starter course is lower quality than the field shingles?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Shingle Wear at Eaves

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Is this simply because the rolled material used for the starter course is lower quality than the field shingles?
    Seems to be a logical conclusion, assuming the starter strip was installed.
    Maybe they used a different product (granulated sheet or underlayment, not rated for this exposure or application).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Maybe they used a different product (granulated sheet or underlayment, not rated for this exposure or application).
    I'm thinking Dom's answer above is the answer.

If the proper shingle starter strip, starter shingles, or the old fashioned cut-the-tabs-off-shingle starters were used, the life expectancy would be the same as that of the shingles, but if the contractor substituted a cheaper roll roofing strip (such as even 90# granular surfaced organic felt roll roofing, which specifically states not to leave exposed to the sun or weather - at least all the ones I've seen state that), then it could be gone in a few years (at least in the Florida sun, may last a little longer where the sun is not so harsh on materials).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Seems to be a logical conclusion, assuming the starter strip was installed.
    ​Thanks Dom & Jerry.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/