Default Window lock/lever height

New home (fire replacement) and the sliding window sashes have two locks, one low and one high. I did not measure the height, but over 6 feet from the floor.

I seem to recall a past discussion on the required maximum height of a window lever/lock. I cannot find it in the IRC (actually, the California RC) and seem to recall it was in some published standard used by manufacturers rather than the code.

I tried searching this forum, but the search function doesn't seem to be working this morning.

Does anyone know of such a standard? Is it readily available (like the building codes are)?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Window lock/lever height

I would have never thought about it. Is this for bedroom egress? I see windows 8-10 feet above the floor with locks. You need a step ladder to get to them, but they have a lock. I am not aware of any restrictions on lock height. For egress I could see a common sense thing about not having the lock too high. CA may have its own thing in the code somewhere.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Thanks Jim,

I was thinking there was some kind of AAMA or ASTM standard. ADA requirements, to the best of my knowledge, do not apply to single-family homes, so I doubt that would be it.

My recollection is 54" aboventhe floor is considered as child resistant.

Look in the pool barrier sections..

I'm not sure that ever made it into the EERO requirements in the IRC. It was in the South Florida Building Codes, and not sure if it made into the Florida Building Code (which is based on the ICC codes).

I used to see casement windows with two locks, upper an lower, with a linkage between the two - when the bottom lock was operated, the top lock also operated.

I can look in the IRC later, but not now.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

R310.1.1 Operational constraints and opening control devices.
    - (blah, blah, blah) Window opening control devices (blah, blah, blah) on windoes serving as a required emergency escape and rescue opening and shall be not more than 70 inches (178 cm) above the finished floor.

A lot higher than I thought, but at least it is in there.

I would still point out to your client that 54" is considered as child resistant to keep children out of a pool area, and that also means the same 54" may be just as child resistant to keep children from escaping from a bedroom during a fire.

Yes, I use the code against itself when it contradicts itself like above ... if 54" keeps children from drowning in a pool ... that same 54" keeps them from escaping from a fire.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry,

Funny thing, I have a strong feeling that this was discussed here and you quoted some published standard. Not building code, but window manufacturing standard.

Clearly I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Clearly I am wrong.
    Or maybe not ... I may have and just don't recall it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com