Default Moisture issues.

My son and daughter-in-law purchased their first home and there was a bunch of water damage that was not disclosed. We are trying to repair some the issues. We removed 2 feet of drywall from floor up and found mold along this wall in the picture below. As we were treating the mold, the liquid ran out from inside the house to outside. Does that mean if water can get out of the wall, water can get back in the wall what is the best way to seal this up? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Moisture issues.

Based on your description and photo, what I think I am seeing, and I may be seeing things wrong, is a ledge outside the wall which is the same level as the the floor inside?

Typically, that would indicate that the slab (square edge, no recess) was too large for the house and instead of making the slab match the size of the house, or making the house match the size of the slab, they set the house wall back in from the edge of the slab.

I recommend you go to the local building department and get a copy of the approved construction documents (in many places, that is the plans and not much else) and see how it was supposed to have been built.

If what I am describing is correct (exterior wall is not at the edge where it was designed to be), then the load on that wall would not be over the foundation footing as it was intended to be.

Way to many questions come to mind, but the first thing would be to get the approved plans and compare it to what you actually have.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Based on your description and photo, what I think I am seeing, and I may be seeing things wrong, is a ledge outside the wall which is the same level as the the floor inside?

Typically, that would indicate that the slab (square edge, no recess) was too large for the house and instead of making the slab match the size of the house, or making the house match the size of the slab, they set the house wall back in from the edge of the slab.

I recommend you go to the local building department and get a copy of the approved construction documents (in many places, that is the plans and not much else) and see how it was supposed to have been built.

If what I am describing is correct (exterior wall is not at the edge where it was designed to be), then the load on that wall would not be over the foundation footing as it was intended to be.

Way to many questions come to mind, but the first thing would be to get the approved plans and compare it to what you actually have.
    Thanks Jerry,

I received some more pictures if it helps -

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Photo looking at toward end wall and down the length of the ledge?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Slab edges and wall locations - see image.

Is the square edge slab showing the wall set back from the edge what you have?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

stucco is not waterproof
    stucco was not terminated at least 2" above the concrete flatwork as has been required for may years, splashing wicking has & will occur
    many props did not have wrb applied & stucco on framing has required 2-layers for many years

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Heres a couple pics from a water intrusion test we performed ... just had to confirm the cause. Weep screed was buried

Last edited by Marc M; 09-22-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Contractors just don't grasp why things are supposed to be done a required way ... either that or maybe they think they'll be gone and out of the picture before their poor practices are exposed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Contractors just don't grasp why things are supposed to be done a required way ... either that or maybe they think they'll be gone and out of the picture before their poor practices are exposed.
    Heres a project where the contractor built this brand new house in Beverly Hills with no weep. IR shows after we tested the glass, water entered the building "under" the flooring.

Last edited by Marc M; 09-22-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sullenger View Post
    My son and daughter-in-law purchased their first home and there was a bunch of water damage that was not disclosed.

This issue should have been disclosed by the property/building/home inspector. My advice would be to reach out to the inspector. A solicitor my be required.

1: Poor stucco ground clearance.
    2: Incomplete/missing stucco weep screed termination.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”