Default Thermal Imaging Camera

I'm thinking of upgrading from my ancient Flir B Cam to a new device. What do you guys like for home inspection use? I don't really use it all that much, so I'm probably not going to get into anything over $1,000.

Do the cell phone add on devices work for what we do? I've never seen one in use, but it looks interesting.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Thermal Imaging Camera

My Flir E30 needed to be sent away for Focus ring repairs they told me it would take a few weeks and I could rent a advice from them for $1,500 a week. So I bought a FLIR One Pro.

It says that it has the same imaging resolution 160 by 120. It says the thermal sensitivity is 70 MK. Curious that I don't use the same description as their larger cameras. There is decidedly less detail in the infrared images that I'm posting in my reports.

After a few months I can tell you that I really appreciate its small size. I can more easily take it into the Attic.

I can also tell you that it's slower. My IR sweeps take easily twice as long.

It's been 4 months and I finally got my E30 back. I would have been a pretty expensive rental. Now I just have to figure out where I hit my charger since I moved my office. Definitely going to be using my bigger gun again

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my ancient Flir B Cam to a new device. What do you guys like for home inspection use? I don't really use it all that much, so I'm probably not going to get into anything over $1,000.

Do the cell phone add on devices work for what we do? I've never seen one in use, but it looks interesting.
    Jim,

I have a Flir C5. It doesn't have incredible resolution, and I don't really use it much, so I am not able to provide you with any kind of useful comparison. I only use it to verify radiant floor operation and the like. I do not use it for leak detection or any other of the common IR uses. I think it was under $500 when I purchased it, but they have gone up significantly since.

I am not a big fan of cel addon devices. The manufacturers keep changing the plug type and when they do that, the device can no longer plug into the phone.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I did pick up a C5 about a month ago. I don't use it a whole lot either, but it should be more than adequate for my needs.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Been thinking of picking up a C5 as a basic IR so I don't have to carry around expensive camera's. Another inspector had a C3 and that seemed pretty decent.
    I don't use IR for HI very much. Not really all that necessary for the most part. I primarily use for water intrusion, tubing scans, heat gain, etc. I use a Fluke and Testo for this work.
    If you are willing to spend a bit over $1000 and willing to check flea bay or creggs list regularly there are some decent deals to be had.
    What you spend on IR depends on use at least from my perspective.
    Flir and Extech have incentive sales going on now. Its not much but it helps.
    If you want basic IR and moisture take a look at the Flir MR160. I've been really happy with that as a tool. The color versions I think the MR 277 or something like that seem a bit too pricey.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    The color versions I think the MR 277 or something like that seem a bit too pricey.
    Not having had an infrared camera since 2006, and having used both gray scale and color when I did, I found that I preferred the gray scale over the color.

I know, I know - infrared cameras have changed A LOT since then, but gray scale or color seems to still be the output choice.

At least one no longer has to superimpose an infrared photo over a digital camera photo themselves - that was a major step ... do you guys still make use of that to better show the area in the infrared photo?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com