Default Aluminum Wiring Issue

I bought a 1973 home that was remodeled (kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, pool added) with an understand the electrical was updated and had a home inspection. The seller stated on the disclosure form that he had no knowledge of aluminum wiring. We got a policy based on his 4-pt mitigation report. However, the inspector reported the house has "verified copper branches". We learned that only some of the kitchen has copper and the rest of the branches are aluminum. We found alumicons in the renovated kitchen. The inspector claims he doesn't know how he missed it. He also stated he is closing his business and his insurance doesn't cover "omissions and errors". He stated that he was advised not to talk to me anymore. I called the seller and he continues to claim he did not know.

What are my options other than having to pay to get it fixed? Quotes for a rewire have been $15,000 - $35,000. No insurance companies I have called will give a policy on a house that has aluminum branches. I definitely would not have bought the house knowing this.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Aluminum Wiring Issue

There are several approved (and safe) ways to remediate Aluminum branch circuit wiring.

In my area of Florida, AlumiConn conversions are poplar, and significantly less expensive than re-wiring.

Another version of "pig-tail conversion" is the Copalum system, also cheaper than a re-wire.

Both of those systems are installed by electricians, and satisfy the insurance underwriter's requirements in our area (check with your carrier) if done correctly.

Steve,

Home inspectors in Florida are required to be licensed. I would start with DBPR to see what your options are.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Che..._DEFN_ID=13061

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Of the two approaches, Copalum is the one with the rock-solid history.

For those interested in a review of the history of aluminum branch circuit wiring, a few month ago Jesse Aronstein published Hot Connections: Aluminum wire, Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire, and the myth of self-regulating industry.

Thanks for the replies. I have called 5 insurance companies and NONE will issue a policy on a home that has aluminum branches. I am thinking about going after the seller... Would I have to prove they knew about the aluminum or SHOULD have known?

That's a question for you attorney. They insure houses with aluminum branch circuits all of the time here with no remediation. But I would guess FL has a lot of claims for hurricane type damage, so the insurance industry is probably a lot different there. It seems like they could just charge more to offset the expected outcome.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have called 5 insurance companies and NONE will issue a policy on a home that has aluminum branches.
    They will if it's remediated. And some will without remediation, you just haven't found one yet.

Contact an insurance broker, they specialize in these issues, especially with all the aged housing stock that is now difficult to insure in Florida.

And there's always Citizens insurance.