Default going rate for a commercial inspection.

Can any Commercial Home Inspectors give me an idea on how to charge for a large Inspection. I've been doing Commercial for a long time. I've done bars, restaurants, bowling alleys and all other kinds but I was asked to Inspect a 60,000 sq. ft. building. This building houses a restaurant, pharmacy, a dental and several more. I have done all of these, individually, at one time or another but I really don't know how to charge for the whole building. Any suggestion would be appreciated.... Gilbert

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: going rate for a commercial inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
    This building houses a . I have done all of these, individually, at one time or another but I really don't know how to charge for the whole building.
    First, I didn't get into commercial buildings a lot, and some that I did were high-rises (typically meaning 8 stories and higher) which were being sold (mostly vacant office buildings).

Now that I've said not to pay a lot of attention to me specific answer, think in general terms:

Will you be doing each occupancy ("restaurant, pharmacy, a dental and several more") any differently than when you did each individually?

Seems the main difference would be 1 roof and 1 building (albeit the same size as the individual roofs and building added together),

Then some potential additional items if not a strip center type building, i.e., a mall type building.

Hopefully, others can offer additional things to consider in pricing it out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Of course. That makes a lot of sense. I just need to figure out how much I normally charge for these inspections one-at-a-time and take it from there. Thanks, that is useful...

Commercial inspections was a small percentage of my business, and I was limited to buildings less than 50,000 SF.
    First and foremost is the expectations of your client. That will determine the scope of the inspection, and tell you iff, and how many, other experts you will need to hire on.
    While I never had a client that wanted environmental, there are certainly some that will. Same goes for past permit and use history. I was lucky that my jobs were very basic, and only had to hire experts on a few jobs.
    I did a dental office once, and there was some very specialized equipment and plumbing there. I had a plumber come in that did a lot of medical practices, so he was very familiar with the word stuff.
    I really boils down to the time you think its going to take you, and any additional costs you may incur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I really boils down to the time you think its going to take you, and any additional costs you may incur.
    I will stress that point as well, including all the back-end "post-production" report assembly and consulting/inquiry/research work necessary. It always takes longer than you estimate.

Last edited by Dom D'Agostino; 10-23-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    ... including all the back-end "post-production" report assembly and consulting/inquiry/research work necessary. It always takes longer than you estimate.
    Absolutely correct!

But ...

When priced out as these inspections should be ... even with all that extra time spent, those inspections are worth the effort put into them.

If one is trying to do a 3,000 sf house for $195 ... the same thing applies ... get real ... be realistic.

Be realistic about what you are doing, what your client wants, and that you are charging "enough" (to cover everything that you end up doing).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Commercial inspections was a small percentage of my business, and I was limited to buildings less than 50,000 SF.
    First and foremost is the expectations of your client. That will determine the scope of the inspection, and tell you iff, and how many, other experts you will need to hire on.
    While I never had a client that wanted environmental, there are certainly some that will. Same goes for past permit and use history. I was lucky that my jobs were very basic, and only had to hire experts on a few jobs.
    I did a dental office once, and there was some very specialized equipment and plumbing there. I had a plumber come in that did a lot of medical practices, so he was very familiar with the word stuff.
    Thank You. This is very useful....