Default Double Bolted Support Post

I did some research and found no reference saying this cannot be done, but I do totally disagree with it.

The picture shows it all, a Patio support post being bolted on each side, IMO this would weaken the post versus making it stronger.

Any comments ?, I am telling them to refer to local building code as it should have had a permit pulled when done.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Joe Reilly; 11-10-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Double Bolted Support Post

Joe, no photo?

However, if I presume that you are referring to anchor spacing, and possibly even edge distance, there are minimum requirements that the manufacturers publish with their anchors for spacing, edge distance, and anchor depth ... presuming that you are not referring to cast in place anchors (which also have requirements, but for different reasons) or epoxied in anchors (which have their own issues when the installer does not use the proper epoxy and its mixing nozzle - basically, if the proper mixing nozzle is not used, the anchor is useless).

Expansion anchors have distance between the anchors, and edge distance, to reduce the expansion action from pushing the concrete apart and making the anchor basically useless.

Kind of like driving a 16d common nail into a piece of shoe molding ... just makes a big mess and accomplishes nothing ... other than ruining it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Photos should be there, what I have is bolts on both side of the pillar.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It looks like it may be 2 separate post bases, stacked or combined, is that what you observed? Pic is too small to see the details.

I keep attaching a bigger picture but yet it shows small, yes Dom, almost looks double stacked.

Regardless, do you think it should have support bolts so close to each other.

The overall condition of the wood (and metal base) are usually more interesting to me, I wouldn't expect any negative impact from extra bolts or lags if the wood is sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Reilly View Post
    Photos should be there, what I have is bolts on both side of the pillar.
    If the.photo is the one in this post, nothing wrong with that. The post bottom looks like it it made from thicker steel and has longer brackets to hold the post, which allows for the two bolts.

But with four bolts (two each way crossing between each other) the condition of the wood, as well as the condition of the metal, as Dom said, would be a factor to look at.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Reilly View Post
    I did some research and found no reference saying this cannot be done, but I do totally disagree with it.

The picture shows it all, a Patio support post being bolted on each side, IMO this would weaken the post versus making it stronger.

Any comments ?, I am telling them to refer to local building code as it should have had a permit pulled when done.
    double bolted column.JPG

Why would you consider column double bolted anchorage deficient? The lower column bracket and double bolting on each side fastening appear quite sufficient and sturdy in my opinion.

Notching and Boring - IBC
    Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 11-15-2021 at 02:16 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Robert,

I suspect he was thinking of the 'Swiss cheese effect'.

Keep in mind that there are 4 bolts, not just 2 bolts (so it's more quadruple bolted and not double bolted).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com