Default Roof cover identification

This home was built in 1900 and was two story, so I was not able to get close to the coverings and could not find any chunks in the yard. What type of shingle is this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Roof cover identification

The ridge tiles look like clay tile.

Based on the ridge tiles being clay tile, my guess would be clay field tiles also.

Clay tiles have been around for eons, typically barrel tile shape profile (and modern versions of that profile), but also with a flat tile profile such as shown (and modern versions of a flat profile).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The ridge tiles look like clay tile.

Based on the ridge tiles being clay tile, my guess would be clay field tiles also.

Clay tiles have been around for eons, typically barrel tile shape profile (and modern versions of that profile), but also with a flat tile profile such as shown (and modern versions of a flat profile).
    Thanks, Jerry. I've seen, and owned, barrel clay tile, but not flat.

In my area, lots of concrete tiles, but not much in clay. And, like Jerry, I have not seen a flat clay. However, given the age (and assuming an old roof) clay is a reasonable hypothesis. Back that far, instead of large mega manufacturers, it was not uncommon to have local manufacturers.

In addition, I rather doubt concrete was used 120 years ago (neither was Cemwood or any of the other failure-prone products).

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    And, like Jerry, I have not seen a flat clay.
    I have seen flat clay tile - some the same thickness throughout the tile; some with thicker foot (bottom), head (top), and sides/edges than the center area; some with square edges and some with edges designed for an overlap/underlap installation.

Typically, the older flat tiles were the same thickness throughout and square edges (advances in tile engineering/design came up with using less material in the center, and then with the overlap/underlap edges).

However, given the age (and assuming an old roof) clay is a reasonable hypothesis. Back that far, instead of large mega manufacturers, it was not uncommon to have local manufacturers.
    As in really small manufacturers, many from Spain, Italy, and Cuba, and many where the clay tiles were formed over the makers leg to get the curve and taper, resulting in different sizes based on the person forming the clay sheet.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Other than the ridge caps, the horizontal fracture reminds me of cement-asbestos tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Other than the ridge caps, the horizontal fracture reminds me of cement-asbestos tiles.
    While I agree that asbestos-cement tiles can break like that, flat clay tiles can also break that way. Flat concrete tiles can also break that way.

I've seen many flat profile concrete and clay roof tile cracked off like the photos show. While I don't recall having seen asbestos-cement roof tiles/shingles, but I have seen asbestos-cement siding shingles broken like that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com