Default Added drain line

The photo shows a laundry area in the garage with a bar sink drain (from adjoining room) tapped into the washer drain line. Would this be okay? Thanks, Mark

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Added drain line

Mark,

While I am not sure about your actual question (it may be okay, fixture units and pipe sizes, etc.), here are the things which stood out in that photo to me, and I am sure which you also addressed:

- Mechanical vent (which is not allowed, should have been an AAV)

- A likely reason for that hose to be in the standpipe is that the valve does not shut off completely, and the dripping hose was put into the standpipe to solve that issue.

- Conduit, rather smallish to have what it should have in it, which comes out of the slab, to duplex 120 volt receptacles, and continues on to the 240 volt dryer receptacle. That raceway would need PVC-looking raceway would need to contain the conductor for both the 120 volt 20 amp clothes washer circuit and the 249 volt 30 amp circuit (2-#12; plus 2-#10, or 3-#10 as I can't tell if that is a 3-prong or 4-prong dryer receptacle; plus grounds).
    - - I'm guessing that they may have run a 240 volt 30 amp circuit, then tapped off it for the120 volt 20 receptacles ... not allowed and not safe ... but that is just a guess, checking breaker labeling (like that was even done) and then shutting off one of the breakers to go back and verify power to one receptacle is off while the other receptacle is still powered or removing the 4" square or 4-11/16 square RS cover with the duplex receptacle in it may be the way to check how it is wired.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, thanks
    You are right about the wiring, 120v tapped into 240v. I was just wondering about the bar sink (kind of fuzzy on this) having two drains on a vent line. Also, you said it needed an AAV, did you mean a Studor vent? I have always call (what is there) an AAV and recommended a Studor vent. in hind sight I'm thinking (no I'm sure) that the two drains are okay as this would just be a normal vent. Thanks

Mark,

An AAV is an Air Admittance Valve. A Studor Vent is the most well known brand of AAV (and I think it was also the first AAV). Studor vent had to go through a lot hoops and explaining its operation to code officials before the code officials begrudgingly accepted it. I remember being at some of those meetings in South Florida when the inventor and owner of Studor Vent was explaining why it was not a "mechanical vent" (mechanical vents are not allowed).

Granted, the sealing part "moves" and thus building officials said it was therefore "mechanical". However, it was pointed out "what mechanical parts move it?", with the answer being "none".

Air pressure is what makes it work.

As I recall, he placed a piece of paper on a desk and blew on it, the paper moved ... therefore the paper was "mechanical"? Really? No, of course not.

Those black ones (at least all the ones I've seen) have a spring on them. They are mechanical vents and are not allowed by the building codes. In RVs and manufactured homes? Yes, mechanical vents are allowed.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-13-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Speelin' (using my phone) was "inventory" is now "inventor", etc
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Studor" is a brand name, there are other AAV's on the market.

It uses a diaphragm (and air pressure), not a spring, like the black mechanical vent.

You can look up details for wet vents online, such as:
    https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/plu...t-vent-rules_o

https://www.iccsafe.org/building-saf...umbing-code-3/

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    "Studor" is a brand name, there are other AAV's on the market.

It uses a diaphragm (and air pressure), not a spring, like the black mechanical vent.

You can look up details for wet vents online, such as:
    https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/plu...t-vent-rules_o

https://www.iccsafe.org/building-saf...umbing-code-3/
    Dom, thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Mark,

An AAV is an Air Admittance Valve. A Studor Ventis the most well known brand of AAV (and I think it was also the first AAV). Stupor vent had to go through a lot hoops and explaining its operation to code officials before the code officials begrudgingly accepted it. I remember being at some of those meetings in South Florida when the inventory and owner of Studor Vent was explaining why it was not a "mechanical vent" (mechanical vents are not allowed).

Granted, the sealing part "moves" and thus building officials said it was therefore "mechanical". However, it was pointed out "what mechanical parts move it?", with the answer being "none".

Air pressure is what makes it work.

As I recall, he placed a piece of paper on a desk and blew on it, the paper moved ... therefore the paper was "mechanical"? Really? No, of course not.

Those black ones (at least all the ones I've seen) have a spring on them. They are mechanical vents and are not allowed by the building codes. In RVs and manufactured homes? Yes, mechanical vents are allowed.
    Jerry, thanks for the great explantion.

Mark, Keep nurturing your curiosity, for it is through questioning and seeking that we truly grow and evolve.