Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

Are these ants or ????? See attached photos. It's a very dusty type dropping on the inner side of my door in between the door and the screen door, so the frame?Thanks in advance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: What is this?

Hi Merry,

I do not know and judging from the dearth of responses, I suspect that no one else who has looked at that knows either.

The only suggestion that I can give you is to call an inspector who is licensed/knowledgeable about wood-destroying organisms (WDO) and have them come out to look. As an alternative, you might be able to gather some up and take it to a WDO inspection company and ask.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thank you, Gunnar, for replying. I will have someone come out and take a look. I was hoping someone knew what it was, so I would be a step ahead.

Merry

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Merry,

I do not know and judging from the dearth of responses, I suspect that no one else who has looked at that knows either.

The only suggestion that I can give you is to call an inspector who is licensed/knowledgeable about wood-destroying organisms (WDO) and have them come out to look. As an alternative, you might be able to gather some up and take it to a WDO inspection company and ask.

Gunnar gave the best advice - the photos are not of such focus and resolution that I can tell much at all.

'Mud-like' residue closing up the openings? Possibly subterranean termites.

'Bearing' like pellets (roll around like stepping on bearings)? Possibly drywood termites.

'Powder-like' substance on threshold? Possibly beetles of some type.

However, as Gunnar said - you need someone to see it up close and personal to make a better than "possibly" guess.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you, Jerry. The only thing I see in your list is a powder-like substance (yellowish in color) and it has fallen from above, getting caught in some spider webs along the way down. I actually see nothing above, but then I'm not an expert. I will have a professional come out.

No mud-like residue and no pellets. No eggs.

I apologize for the poor pics. Guess I have a shaky hand or reduced them too much in size.

Merry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Gunnar gave the best advice - the photos are not of such focus and resolution that I can tell much at all.

'Mud-like' residue closing up the openings? Possibly subterranean termites.

'Bearing' like pellets (roll around like stepping on bearings)? Possibly drywood termites.

'Powder-like' substance on threshold? Possibly beetles of some type.

However, as Gunnar said - you need someone to see it up close and personal to make a better than "possibly" guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Peters View Post
    Are these ants or ????? See attached photos. It's a very dusty type dropping on the inner side of my door in between the door and the screen door, so the frame?
    My guess...Carpenter ants are some of the largest, structural dwelling ants that live in many parts of the forested world.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”