Thumbs up Escape and rescue

Escape and rescue can be a door

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 07-26-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Escape and rescue

Sam,

A question: The stair to that door and that door:

a) That stair only leads to that door, and that door leads directly to the outdoors and into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way?

b) That door is a secondary door to/from the basement bedroom, correct? I.e., there is another, main, entrance to that basement bedroom.

c) The basement bedroom is down (as shown in the photos) and the egress is up (as shown in the photos), so what are the other walls of the basement bedroom like? Such as windows, etc.

With all the right answers to the above questions, and if that stair is "in" 'the bedroom', i.e., as in (bold and underlining are mine) "an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room", the answer may ... may ... be a 'yes'.

If there is a door between that stair and the bedroom, then the answer is definitely a "No.", if there isn't, maybe ... depending on the other factors.

At first thought, it would appear to 'not meet the intent', but we have to go by the wording as it is written.

Of course, though, there is the issue with the risers not meeting code, unless what I am seeing is an optical illusion.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Sam,

A question: The stair to that door and that door:

a) That stair only leads to that door, and that door leads directly to the outdoors and into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way?

b) That door is a secondary door to/from the basement bedroom, correct? I.e., there is another, main, entrance to that basement bedroom.

c) The basement bedroom is down (as shown in the photos) and the egress is up (as shown in the photos), so what are the other walls of the basement bedroom like? Such as windows, etc.

With all the right answers to the above questions, and if that stair is "in" 'the bedroom', i.e., as in (bold and underlining are mine) "an emergency escape and rescue opening shall be required in each sleeping room", the answer may ... may ... be a 'yes'.

If there is a door between that stair and the bedroom, then the answer is definitely a "No.", if there isn't, maybe ... depending on the other factors.

At first thought, it would appear to 'not meet the intent', but we have to go by the wording as it is written.

Of course, though, there is the issue with the risers not meeting code, unless what I am seeing is an optical illusion.
    Stairs are good, no problems there. The basement door at the top of steps opens to the outside. There is another door in this room that leads into the basement garage, oh no I don't this is going to work for a bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Stairs are good, no problems there.
    So, you are saying that it is my imagination that the first riser's height is (looks to be) less than half of the second riser's height?

And that the top riser basically disappears so quickly versus the next to top riser, yet the two risers are the same height?

The basement door at the top of steps opens to the outside. There is another door in this room that leads into the basement garage, ...
    An egress is not allowed to egress to/through a garage. That makes that other door the main egress door, not the EERO.

What about windows in that bedroom, for natural light and ventilation?

... oh no I don't this is going to work for a bedroom?
    Sounds that way.

And if there are no windows, it won't work for any habitable space (not a den, not a play room, not an etc.).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com