Default Yellow Corrugated Gas Line on propane tank

Found some CSST running from a propane tank to a water heater. I understand that it should be grounded if connected to natural gas lines from a municipal system but is it still an issue if connected to a propane tank and would one need to call it out? Doesn't seem to me to have the potential for a fire due to a lightning strike. If it needed to be bonded where would one do that? At the propane tank? Never have seen that.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Yellow Corrugated Gas Line on propane tank

Gastite makes no mention of the type of fuel flowing through its product when it comes to bonding.
    Install guide available online, bonding page screen shot attached.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Huffman View Post
    Found some CSST running from a propane tank to a water heater. I understand that it should be grounded if connected to natural gas lines from a municipal system but is it still an issue if connected to a propane tank and would one need to call it out? Doesn't seem to me to have the potential for a fire due to a lightning strike. If it needed to be bonded where would one do that? At the propane tank? Never have seen that.

Robert,

I agree with Dom. First, I would like to confirm that you are referring to a permanent propane tank and not a portable 20 lb. (barbecue/grill-type) tank. I believe portable tanks are not listed for that type of use.

Generally, the gas is bonded (not grounded) where it enters the building and this is typically run(at least in my area) with a hard pipe. The clamp can be attached to a pipe or fitting, but not the CSST itself.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Any gas piping that could become energized must be bonded to the Electrical Grounding Conductor, typically at the distribution panel. In addition, first generation CSST must be bonded per the mfr. Such piping does not have to be replaced but it must be bonded. Typically, we see #6 solid copper to 150 amp panels and #4 to 200 amp. The clamp must be listed to UL 467. It is typically attached directly to the brass coupling or, sometimes to the steel pipe the brass is connected to.

We bond 100% of our gas lines.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Any gas piping that could become energized must be bonded to the Electrical Grounding Conductor, ...
    Gas piping is bonded to the Grounding Electrode System.

The Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) connects the Electrical Service Equipment grounding terminal bar to the Grounding Electrode System.

Black iron pipe may be bonded to the grounding electrode system through the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit most likely to energize the gas piping, i.e., the circuit connected to the appliance that the gas piping is connected to.

The original yellow CSST which does not have an arc-resistant covering or coating (which typically is black) has different rules for bonding, the #6 AWG copper conductor Bob referred to.

Can (i.e., "may") a #6 AWG copper conductor be used to bond all types of gas piping? Absolutely!

But not all types of gas piping requires a #6 AWG copper bonding conductor.

But ... if one section (component) of yellow CSST is added to a black iron gas piping system ... things can get really complicated ... or may be quite simple ... depending on how the AHJ thinks of the bonding ability of the black iron gas piping. I.e., run a #6 AWG copper bonding conductor to that CSST component, or simply run a #6 AWG copper bonding conductor from the black iron pipe to the grounding electrode system at any convenient point on each - from the black iron gas piping at meter to the GEC, or from the black iron gas piping to the service equipment ground, are two examples - and use the black iron gas piping as the '#6 AWG cooper or equivalent' bonding conductor, as allowed in the code.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-21-2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: posted using my phone, rereading my post found lots of typo errors
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com