Default Handrails - not returned to wall or floor

The codes require that handrails be returned to the wall or floor at each end - we have all know that for a very long time, however, I've always explained the reason as being so loose clothing, which typically refers to women's clothing and their purses, do not catch on the exposed (not returned) end of a handrail and cause them to trip and fall down the stair.

After moving up to North Carolina and to a two-level house with stairs and a handrail which is not returned to the wall or floor, and after wearing flannel shirts to go outside when it chills down (been 21F in the morning lately), I have noticed that the sleeve of my shirt has a tendency to start to catch the open end of the handrail.

My shirt is not "loose clothing" as it ia not "tight" while also being "not loose". Over last winter and the start of this winter, I am reminded that handrail ends which are not returned to the wall (or floor) can be quite dangerous to EVERYONE, and for clothing which is NOT LOOSE clothing.

Yeah, I know, the handrail was that way when we bought the house, the home inspector missed it (along with a bunch of things - my experience with home inspectors in North Carolina is that they really, for the most part, don't inspect for their client - the buyer - but more for 'helping assist the the deal close'). That said, the home inspector who inspected the vacation house we bought two years ago was much better than the one who inspected this house last year.