Default toilet supply valve

Look at this picture. It's a 1/2" copper pipe coming through the wall. What type of connection is this? Is there a rubber grommet, metal ferrule, compression fitting or what? I need to replace this and get a new supply line too. So what is the proper description of this valve connection to the 1/2pipe?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: toilet supply valve

I thinks its 1/2" compression. Am I right? I wonder if the existing compression ferrule can be left on the pipe and reused with a new valve. Or will I need to cut the pipe and install new ferrule?

Looks like a compression angle stop from here.
    You can always re-tighten a compression nut/ferrule, but it's already been "compressed" and might not seal the same way on new parts.

Try a new part, they make push-fit angle valves, copper crimp valves, and the same ol' compression style too.

Looks like the toilet is sinking into the subfloor...

I find that the compression ferrule often is so tight against the copper pipe that I cannot slide it off. If you have trouble, I believe there is a fairly inexpensive ferrule-pulling tool available.

I'm with Dom on the sinking toilet. Is the valve leaking? Looks like the floor might need replacing as well.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

It is in fact a compression type connection. The new valve would not seal up against the old ferrule. Luckily there was just enough pipe available to cut it off and install new components. I got it all done and the leaks are stopped.

That subfloor is totally rotted. There is a structural brace between floor trusses that also sits directly on top of a basement wall top plate. So, it wont sink more than it already has because the 3" pvc elbow directly below the flange is resting on the brace.

It's all getting ripped out this spring but I just needed to replace the tank seals to stop the leak and mitigate the impending mold problem being caused below.

The house is owned by a close family member who is elderly and fallen behind on maintenance.

It sounds like you had quite a challenging situation, Taking action to replace the tank seals and address the leaks was a necessary step to mitigate any potential mold problems and prevent further damage.