Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Default IAEI & ICC, and goodbye NPCCI certification

I don't know how many people on this forum or board will find this relevant but certification has changed. In less than two weeks, all members of the Internaitonal Association of Electrical Inspectors who had certification as inspectors, or, presumably, as plan reviewers, no longer will have that supported by the National Certification Program for Construction Code Inspectors, but by the International Code Council. This was announced as opt-out, as will be future renewals; not opt-in.

Whether this means further distance between the NFPA and IAEI, I have no idea.

I have no idea what effect if any this will have on the certification associated with IAEI CE programs.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: IAEI & ICC, and goodbye NPCCI certification

Back when I first got my Electrical Inspector, Commercial and Electrical Inspector, Residential certifications from SBCCI (now ICC) in 1989.1990, many electrical inspectors I knew said that I should instead get my IAEI Electrical Inspector certification too.

A few years later (after Hurricane Andrew's dust settled), Florida established Florida inspector and plans examiner licensing as many inspectors and plans examiners had no license for anything, not even an contractor's license of any type (but they usually had a contractor's license for the discipline they were inspecting/plan reviewing, or they had Electrical Contractor license or IAEI Inspector Certification for Electrical inspectors).

Florida based their licensing on SBCCI/ICC certifications and tests.

However, Florida initially grandfathered in all inspectors and plans examiners currently working for AHJ as Limited Inspectors and Limited Plan Review, and only in the discipline that they were employed as. All full inspector and plans examiner licenses (which Florida called Standard Inspector and Standard Plans Reviewer) had to go through SBCCI/ICC certification testing.

That meant that all IAEI certified inspectors and plan reviewers were only given Limited licenses. They had to take the SBCCI/ICC certification tests to get their Standard licenses.

Long story short ... the above may have been the beginning of the downfall for IAEI inspector certifications as Florida had a lot of certified inspectors who had to become Florida licensed.

A possibility?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com