Default Does this stucco bulge look like a foundation issue?

Does this stucco bulge look like a foundation issue?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Does this stucco bulge look like a foundation issue?

It's nice and straight, so probably not. It looks like it corresponds to the floor level of the upper level. Sometimes the framing is a little out of plumb, and the framers will try to correct at the next level to get it square for the trusses / roofing.
    If they had shimmed out at the top a little it would not be so obvious.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Does this stucco bulge look like a foundation issue?

I agree with Jim, it looks like either the first story was built too small and they built the second story the size on the plans, or, it could be that they built the second story the same size as the first story, but those two walls 'sipped out of place' (winds blew them before the walls were anchored in place?), or something similar during construction.

That 'during construction' part is where the contractor should have gone 'Holy Crap!' and corrected it, but didn't.

Then the stucco contractor tried to follow the contour over the misaligned walls as best they could.

The second photo, the wall around the corner, shows the worst stucco work in trying to make it look decent (unsuccessfully).

I zoomed in 500X, while it lost some resolution, I didn't see major stucco cracking that would show if that happened 'after construction was completed'. I didn't see any stucco cracks, but that could be the loss of resolution zooming in 500X, or it could be my eyes.

It is something I would definitely have checked out. If that was not done properly (okay .. . it is given that it was not done "properly") but was that joint flashed behind the stucco, how was the stucco applied*, etc.

Is the first story masonry or frame? The second story appears to be frame. Also notice that some of the windows are set flush with the wall surface and some of the windows are recessed back from the wall surface - how did they flash the windows? Each style requires different flashing, and many times different style windows (fin type versus flange type). I'd better quit looking before this gets any longer.

*a) Was the stucco applied wire lath over wood sheathing (really not good if that was done)?
    *b) Was the stucco applied over paper backed metal lath over wood sheathing (also not good it that was done)?
    *c) Was the stucco applied over paper back metal lath over a proper drainage plane (a typical 'not too bad' method)?
    *d) Was the stucco applied over metal lath over two proper layers, a bond breaker layer and a drainage plane layer (at least they tried to salvage what was there better)?
    *e) Was that mismatched area of the walls flashed over and then installed as c) or d) (some improvement, but still not correct)?
    *f) Was ... okay, no, it is obvious that this was not done ... there is no horizontal drainage weep screed along those mismatched areas (basically kind of like a foundation weep screed) ... and no expansion joints, etc, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com