Default Sub panel neutrals & grounds bonded

Sub panel in rear yard shed, no electrical path to home. This is what I think and would like an opinion if I am correct. The source is from the bottom of the panel, the hot & neutral should be on the main lugs, a separate ground bus bar should be added and ground wires attached to it which would isolate the neutrals. This is a new shed and I think it should have had a four wire feed.
    Thanks, Mark

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Sub panel neutrals & grounds bonded

Quote Originally Posted by mark petty View Post
    Sub panel in rear yard shed, no electrical path to home. This is what I think and would like an opinion if I am correct. The source is from the bottom of the panel, the hot & neutral should be on the main lugs, a separate ground bus bar should be added and ground wires attached to it which would isolate the neutrals. This is a new shed and I think it should have had a four wire feed.
    Thanks, Mark
    report ur concerns based on the facts u observe
    res or comm
    for obvious reasons, i don't get into prescribing repairs

let the ahj or competent electrician assure any remedy is correctly installed

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Mark,

Double tap at the line lug, neutral/ground bonded, the building should have its own grounding electrode as well.

Not sure what you mean by "no electrical path to home" though. Presumably, the EGC goes back to the service equipment (or wherever this feeds from), right? So, isolate neutral and EGC.

I don't know if there is a problem with it being a 120v feed though. Maybe Jerry or Dave Shapiro will chime in.

But, I agree with BadAir. Report the conditions, defer to an electrical contractor, and don't recommend specific corrections.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Gunnar, Mark thanks for your input and yes, I did defer. Mark

Detached structure (one structure fed from another structure):

- see previous comments from Gunnar and barry

- gets its own 'service equipment' (with some exceptions, that do not look like they were used here)

- NM cable entering bottom of panel appears to be the 'service entrance' conductors, likely from underground or overhead, either is considered a wet location, and NM cable is only approved for use in dry locations, and is not allowed in wet locations

- Split bus panel (the multiple tap from the top section appears to power the bottom section, but it is still a multiple tap) ... if the bottom section is not being used (it isn't), then remove the offending wire

- that 'service conductor neutral neutral terminal may not be rated for that small of a conductor

- what is on the supply end of that 'service entrance cable'?

- David will likely have some more specific information

- don't report on what or how to fix, just what you see, then 'have qualified and licensed contractor make all correction necessary, and any they may create d=uring repairs' (I've seen electricians make more issues than they went there to correct)

- and ... in Florida ... the owner is not allowed to make repairs themselves for work which requires licensed contractors - the owner is allowed to paint, caulk, and some other things, but nothing electrical, plumbing, mechanical, or building (structural, roofing, windows, exterior doors, etc), see DBPR CILB for list of contractor licenses

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, thanks, all good info, Mark

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

All good comments. "No path" probably meant "No other metallic path such as plumbing."
    However, that's all irrelevant, as everyone's pointed out (Jerry most of all) violations demonstrating that it isn't legal, it never was legal, and there's nothing to fix: it's a tear-out and do right unless there are some very strange local amendments.