Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Default Common area equipment "associated" with an individual dwelling unit

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Common area equipment "associated" with an individual dwelling unit

Starting at the unit:

- the feeders (which are not common area equipment, but do feed back to the common area equipment)

- the unit's main disconnect, to compare to the feeder and panel ratings

- visial condition of GEC, if visible,

- visual condition of exterior of the overall service equipment, if in obvious need of attention for anything, make client aware that repairs may be required, which could be costly (which, if not all ready discussed, is an excellent time to remind client to check association budget, reserves, and assessments)

Sometimes that last one can become a biggy $$$$ item, such as finding FPE service equipment.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks, Jerry.

If the hall light outside a condo/coop apartment is flickering, or the light illuminating the exit sign by stairs is out, are things like this outside the HI's remit?

Outside the inspection of a unit, yes.

However, I suspect most HIs would point those out to their clients as being indicative of subpar maintenance, and the client should let management know ... and monitor how long it takes to be corrected (as they may not want to buy in a building which has has subpar maintenance.

Many expensive things will likely have been ignored, indicating potential issues and costs of ownership in such a building.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    When you inspect an individual dwelling unit in a multifamily residence, what common-area electrical equipment if any do you examine because you consider it associated with that dwelling?
    Morning, David.
    What I inspect depends upon what I have contracted to inspect with my clients.
    I will not inspect any common areas, or equipment therein, if I am only doing the Private Area.

When I have contracted the Private and Common areas of a mulity unit building I try to access the Hydro Utility room as it is known in my neck of the woods, Montreal, Quebec Canada.
    I report on everything I can see. Service entrance cable and location. Service size. Main disconnect servce box type and location, Main disconnect service box rating, Main disconnect service box type and locaton, System grounding material and type, Distrobution panel rating, electric panel manufacturer, Auxilary panel/Remote panel. type and location, etc...

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Robert, I belive David was inquiring about inspection of an individual unit, and I originally thought David was then asking about that unit's 'common area electrical' (as David specializes in electrical); however, David followed up with a question about lighting and egress (exit signs and stairwys) which have an electrical relationship.

You through in a twist, but a somewhat confusing twist (or maybe I am the only one confused by it): the inspector there to inspect the entire building (such as apartment buildings).

That is a completely different type of inspection. In those inspections, I (or any inspector) will be inspecting, basically, the entire building (to the limits contracted for).

Two totally different types of inspections, at least for me.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Robert, I belive David was inquiring about inspection of an individual unit, and I originally thought David was then asking about that unit's 'common area electrical' (as David specializes in electrical); however, David followed up with a question about lighting and egress (exit signs and stairwys) which have an electrical relationship.

You through in a twist, but a somewhat confusing twist (or maybe I am the only one confused by it): the inspector there to inspect the entire building (such as apartment buildings).

That is a completely different type of inspection. In those inspections, I (or any inspector) will be inspecting, basically, the entire building (to the limits contracted for).

Two totally different types of inspections, at least for me.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Robert, I just noticed, in the quote, an autocorrect typo I made typing on my phone:

"You through in ... " should have been "You threw in ... "

I gotta be more careful using the phone with autocorrect.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Robert, I just noticed, in the quote, an autocorrect typo I made typing on my phone:

"You through in ... " should have been "You threw in ... "

I gotta be more careful using the phone with autocorrect.
    All good Jerry. Not to worry.

What I find intriguing about your responses is that the demarcation of inspection for someone interested in purchasing an individual dwelling unit is at the walls/ceilings/floors of the unit, as well as, in Jerry's case, the feeder breaker serving the unit's panel. Items outside the unit, even ones that can be critical for occupant safety, might warrant a note but are not part of the inspection proper.

I think about how much purchasers take on faith, usually without recognizing that it is unchecked and unknown. One always has to set limits, but when I tell a consulting customer that I can at best make guesses about the wiring in their walls, I know that they don't have the experience to tell them how far off my guesses can be. That's if the issue even gets raised.

That was a bit of a philosophizing departure form the question of where inspections of dwellings in multifamily buildings stop.

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    What I find intriguing about your responses is that the demarcation of inspection for someone interested in purchasing an individual dwelling unit is at the walls/ceilings/floors of the unit, ...
    The reason for that is basically because that is what the client's want.

Which brings up "how do we know that is what client's want?"

Because, when more is offered, obviously with an increase in cost for the inspection, the ultimate response from the client was 'but isn't all that stuff the responsibility of the condo association?', and, 'yep, it is, but ... ' ends the discussion.

I did have a few client's who asked "Okay, how much more", with a response of "depends on what you want to include". They quickly decided not to include anything outside the unit.

Keep in mind that all they actually only own is "paint to paint", and possibly some interior walls.

If a wall is a rated wall (common wall or not), the drywall on those walls is "part of the building".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you. Makes sense, Jerry.

In a small way, it's like when a homeowner would have me out to examine the wiring, and I'd say, "If I drop this light fixture and find that the wiring feeding it is too rotten, I will not risk putting it back up," and getting the response, "Don't check its wiring; leave be."

Lots of crossed fingers out there.