Default Amalgamated Electric Corporation Limited panel accessories

Where can I get parts to replace those no longer working for this Fuse panel? It is an Amalgamated Electric Corporation Limited Panel. It has fuses but the top seems to have a breaker. these are arcing and blowing the fuses. Electrician says if we can get a replacement part it should be fixable.

Background- this is a 30amp set of fuses for our dryer hookup( we bought the house in October 2022) The dryer started popping fuses and I have replaced parts on the dryer and the plug in the wall. everything was fine for several months and then it started again so we figured it had to be the dryer( dumb I know) so we bought a new dryer. It still pops fuses. we need a dryer as we have two growing children with lots of dirty clothes LOL. We can not afford to replace the panel at this time, Any options??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Amalgamated Electric Corporation Limited panel accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Miller View Post
    Where can I get parts to replace those no longer working for this Fuse panel? It is an Amalgamated Electric Corporation Limited Panel. It has fuses but the top seems to have a breaker. these are arcing and blowing the fuses. Electrician says if we can get a replacement part it should be fixable.

Background- this is a 30amp set of fuses for our dryer hookup( we bought the house in October 2022) The dryer started popping fuses and I have replaced parts on the dryer and the plug in the wall. everything was fine for several months and then it started again so we figured it had to be the dryer( dumb I know) so we bought a new dryer. It still pops fuses. we need a dryer as we have two growing children with lots of dirty clothes LOL. We can not afford to replace the panel at this time, Any options??

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Reposting (or quoting your own message) is very poor etiquette for message boards. If, and when, people log in to see what it new, we will see it, and seeing it twice (especially self quoted) is a turn off.

That said ... where is "NL" as in your location?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

I'm going kinda high-level, as I see no images.

Arcing means damage. If that's affected the busbar where the main breaker is attached, replacing the CB won't cure the damage. If the electrician on hand competently judges such damage to be negligible, there are various web sources of new old stock. I have no idea how reliable they are. Molded case CBs cannot be reconditioned legally, in the sense of being able to retain the listing mark and ensure the calibration, though there always have been people who would clean them up so they look good.

I suspect you're talking about your service panel. It's extremely unlikely that your service entrance conductors are long enough to backfeed the bus from a 2-pole fuseholder, if you have any, or that one would be rated to feed the entire panel.

What you might, just conceivably might be able to do is get AHJ permission to retain the cabinet and wiring and replace the panel, meaning the guts, with one of Eaton's retro inserts. They're not going to be listed for Amalgamated, but depending on where you are, the Special Permission might be forthcoming.

The AEC/AGC brand apparently was combined with FPE assets in the 1980s, making it even more likely that Connecticut Electric/UBI licensed the right to make compatible CBs. However, those CBs were about the least reliably calibrated ones Jesse Aronstein tested, with more than a few that just would not trip on overload and possibly on short circuit.

If NL is Newfoundland, BTW, the tests by Aronstein and his colleague found Federal Pioneer CBs about as wonky as Federal Pacific stabloks. If these were another design, I have no information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Miller View Post
    Where can I get parts to replace those no longer working for this Fuse panel? Electrician says if we can get a replacement part it should be fixable.
    It really is the contractors job responsibility to source parts, especially for an important item like a service panel.

It has fuses but the top seems to have a breaker. these are arcing and blowing the fuses...

We can not afford to replace the panel at this time, Any options??
    Sorry to sound harsh, but you really can't afford to NOT replace it.