Default Strange white growth in toilet tanks of new house

Hello,

I am a new member and would like to solicit the input of those of you who have experience with these types of issues. I have a newly-built home in South Carolina. We have two baths on the second floor that are not used too often and therefore the toilets are not flushed regularly.

I noticed a strange white material in the bowl of the toilet after flushing it. I removed the tank lid and noticed quite a bit of white mold (?) growing inside. I then looked at every other toilet tank and saw, to some degree, the same condition. (See attached photo)

Do any of you have any experience with this and, if so, do you know what causes it and how to eliminate it?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Thanks for posting here and welcome to InspectionNews!

You will find a ton of information here but don't forget about the Member Benefits too.

Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Strange white growth in toilet tanks of new house

On city water or well water?

If city water, contact the city to find out what they say (they will likely have it tested).

If on wrll, have the water tested.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    On city water or well water?

If city water, contact the city to find out what they say (they will likely have it tested).

If on wrll, have the water tested.
    We are not on a well. The county says they will only test water up to the meter. Once it crosses the meter, it?s our responsibility. I?m trying to find an experienced water and air testing company near Hilton Head Island. I?ve sent the photo I posted above to numerous mold testing outfits and not a single one said they had ever seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lyle View Post
    We are not on a well. The county says they will only test water up to the meter. Once it crosses the meter, it?s our responsibility.

Did the county come out and test it at the meter?

Start there. Verify that the water is as it should be at that point.

I?m trying to find an experienced water and air testing company near Hilton Head Island. I?ve sent the photo I posted above to numerous mold testing outfits and not a single one said they had ever seen anything like it.
    Don't worry about the mold, worry about what may be in the water.

If ... IF (that big IF) ... IF the county water test comes back as being safe and meeting all potable water standards, then test the water at the hose bibb closest to the city water supply to the house, also at the first faucet inside, and at the water heater (both supply to the water heater and at the drain from the water heater.

Check with your county health department as they may offer water testing if you bring the samples to them.

I would stay away from commercial water testing places as many are thought to basically treat 'water testing' as a sales pitch for selling water conditioners.

Forget about the mold, if the water is as it should be, there should not be mold in it. Moldy stuff growing in the water is a sign of something in the water which should not be in the water.

As a WAG ... is your new home in a subdivision which has water use issues, and potentially uses reclaimed water for filling and flushing toilets? If so ... that is where to start. Otherwise, the water supply you drink is the same water which fills and flushes toilets.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-15-2023 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Speelin'
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As a WAG ... is your new home in a subdivision which has water use issues, and potentially uses reclaimed water for filling and flushing toilets? If so ... that is where to start. Otherwise, the water supply you drink is the same water which fills and flushes toilets.
    If this is the case, then that reclaimed water treatment system may not be working properly.

Do your neighbors have the same issue in their toilets? Yes, I realize that is not a typical topic one asks their neighbors.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If this is the case, then that reclaimed water treatment system may not be working properly.

Do your neighbors have the same issue in their toilets? Yes, I realize that is not a typical topic one asks their neighbors.
    Jerry,

We do not have a reclaimed water system. We are on county water, not a well. I spoke to my immediate neighbors, most of whom have been here a year or so longer than I, and none of them have experienced anything like this. I?m not planning to use anyone who sells a filtration system. If I have to fly someone in from out of state, so be it. There doesn?t appear to be anyone local who really knows - at least that I?ve found. We have a Rinnai tankless heater so no need to check the heater. I agree though, it appears to be in the water. I did speak to someone from the local water company and they didn?t know anything. He seemed to be a low-level employee so if there was an issue I?m sure he?s been told not to say anything about it.

The very few articles I have found seem to deal with iron, manganese and sulfur. There was a local company, no longer in business, that tested water for sulfur. Kind of at a loss at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Jerry,

We do not have a reclaimed water system. We are on county water, not a well. I spoke to my immediate neighbors, most of whom have been here a year or so longer than I, and none of them have experienced anything like this. I?m not planning to use anyone who sells a filtration system. If I have to fly someone in from out of state, so be it. There doesn?t appear to be anyone local who really knows - at least that I?ve found. We have a Rinnai tankless heater so no need to check the heater. I agree though, it appears to be in the water. I did speak to someone from the local water company and they didn?t know anything. He seemed to be a low-level employee so if there was an issue I?m sure he?s been told not to say anything about it.

The very few articles I have found seem to deal with iron, manganese and sulfur. There was a local company, no longer in business, that tested water for sulfur. Kind of at a loss at this point.

Have you contacted:

https://scdhec.gov/BOW/private-drink...sting-services

Don't tell them it isn't well water. Test for both of what they offer.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com