Chris Parker Guest

Default Newby saying hi!

Well my name is Chris Parker,I live in Indiana, and I'm just starting down the road to be a home inspector. I've been in construction for almost 15 years now and my joints are telling me its time to get a different job!
    I've passed the AHIT home study/online course and just passed the NACHI 120 question exam with a 92%. Not that that qualifies me for anything. Didn't do so well on the 24 question ASHI exam. But with two questions per section you miss one and you got yourself a 50%!
    Anyway, I'm glad I found this place as it has already lead me to places and instruction I hadn't found before.
    I'm studying for the EBPHI National Home Inspection Exam, I have the content outline and all my course materials for study.
    Whats my best course of action; study just what the NACHI test says I'm lacking knowledge in or study the bulk of the course materials again as a refresher?
    I don't wanna pay to take the test twice.
    Any advice or related experience you have is coveted.
    Thanks .
    Chris

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Newby saying hi!

Welcome Chris!

It's been some years since I took the national exam. Back then there was a sample exam online (not free) that I thought was helpful. And the other thing was that, even though you frequently hear that "we don't do code inspections", there were quite a few code questions on the exam.
    I'll let someone else comment on the InterNACHI exam.
    Good luck!

Kevin Luce Guest

Chris, what part of Indiana are you from?

Chris Parker Guest

I'm in south central Indiana , near Nashville. Its about 70 minutes south of monument circle.
    Where's Highland?

Kevin Luce Guest

Northwest corner of Indiana next to IL and Lake Michigan. We are considered a suburb of Chicago.

It's been about 10 to 15 years ago but we use to go to Brown County National Park to camp. Nice area and now making me think that we should go back this summer.

It's nice that most of the classes for CE are in Indianapolis.

Attached Files Attached Files

Kevin Luce Guest

Once you get your state license for doing home inspections, I would recommend you joining Indiana Assn. of Building Officials. It's cheap to join, classes are priced resonable (lunch included), information given during class is great, the people (95% city inspectors) are professional and many classes meet the continuing education requirement. Look into it when you get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    Well my name is Chris Parker,I live in Indiana, and I'm just starting down the road to be a home inspector. I've been in construction for almost 15 years now and my joints are telling me its time to get a different job!
    I've passed the AHIT home study/online course and just passed the NACHI 120 question exam with a 92%. Not that that qualifies me for anything. Didn't do so well on the 24 question ASHI exam. But with two questions per section you miss one and you got yourself a 50%!
    Anyway, I'm glad I found this place as it has already lead me to places and instruction I hadn't found before.
    I'm studying for the EBPHI National Home Inspection Exam, I have the content outline and all my course materials for study.
    Whats my best course of action; study just what the NACHI test says I'm lacking knowledge in or study the bulk of the course materials again as a refresher?
    I don't wanna pay to take the test twice.
    Any advice or related experience you have is coveted.
    Thanks .
    Chris
    The ASHI practice exam and the Sample questions are more realistic of what you could expect to find on the NHIE. It also times you so that you are under pressure to finish, similar to what you will face on the NHIE.

I would get a copy of the New Code Check called Code Check Complete. This makes a great study guide and should be on every home inspectors bookshelf.

As John said, you will have several code based questions on the exam simply because the codes set the standard for many of the things that we inspect. The IRC is the reference used for any of the Code based questions on the NHIE. A so called code question might ask about the Rise and Run of a set of stairs or about handrails or guardrails. Could be about electrical breakers and wire sizes. Basic stuff that a home inspector needs to know but it is code based.

I can't really speak about the INACHI test, but you need to keep in mind that this is their entry test and it is not designed to be difficult. My son passed it a few years back with an 88 and he was 17 at the time and did it in less than an hour. He just used a Code Check book and the Home Book by Carson Dunlap.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 01-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Even though InterNACHI has some nice things on their website to help home inspectors (especially new ones), Scott is correct. I would not use the InterNACHI test to help me determine how well I would do on the test the state requires you to take.

I tell people that if you cannot pass the InterNACHI test , then they need a lot more education before becoming a home inspector.

If you go to hire a secretary, have her take the test. If she passes, then she has some knowledge of home inspections.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 01-29-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

I would get a copy of the New Code Check called Code Check Complete. This makes a great study guide and should be on every home inspectors bookshelf..

Mine is in a gallon Zip-Lock Bag inside my carry tool bag.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Chris Parker Guest

For what its worth I took the NACHI test with NO reference materials at hand whatsoever. But either way seems like I need to study more and buy a coupla new books. Thanks folks.

Kevin Luce Guest

Thumbs up Re: Newby saying hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Mine is in a gallon Zip-Lock Bag inside my carry tool bag.
    Chris, include in that bag the DeWalt Electrical Code Reference written by American Contractor's Exam Services and Daniel Sandefur. You can get it for around 20.00 dollars and it will help you with the test and more in the field. Go to the book store and take a look at it and you will agree with me.

Kevin Luce Guest

Just from a quick search, Borders appears to be the best price especially with the coupon.

DEWALT Electrical Code Reference: Based on the 2008 National Electrical Code - Borders - Books, Music and Movies

Visit Borders

I have the 2005 NEC with 2008 changes noted. If you come across that in the store, I would get that.

Kevin Luce Guest

That book looks different then mine.

Here are some pictures of the book I have.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Kevin Luce Guest

I can't resist including this picture of an auxiliary panel.

Have to smile when I read the heading.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    -- picture of an auxiliary panel.--
    Subpanel, Subpanel, Subpanel !

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

It IS amazing how some very respected people STILL teach the wrong stuff which STILL leads to confusion among those they are teaching, when, all that really needs to be taught is "service equipment" and "not service equipment".

You can have a "panel" built into the service equipment or separate, either way, though, it is still a "panel" ("panelboard" to be accurate), however, when a "panel" installed 'as part of' the "service equipment" it is treated as ... "service equipment" ... because IT IS.

Thus, any "panel which is not service equipment" is treated just like any other "panel which is not service equipment", regardless if it is a 'main panel' (where most of the breakers are) or a "sub fed panel" which is fed off a breaker from another panel. In fact, it does not matter is it is a "sub fed panel" fed off another "sub fed panel" fed off another "sub fed panel" fed off a 'main panel'. Once "not service equipment", all "panels" are wired the same.

I resisted this when Kevin tried to entice me into it, but had to say it to go along with Billy's EEK! emoticon and the shaking head going NO - NO - NO.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I resisted this when Kevin tried to entice me into it, but had to say it to go along with Billy's EEK! emoticon and the shaking head going NO - NO - NO.
    I guess you did pop in my head when I made that last post.

Jerry, I need a muscle man for a client that didn't pay for a home inspection. They live at 102nd Court in Miami. Know anyone? If you do let me know and I'll send you a pre-paid phone so we can talk about this more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    They live at 102nd Court in Miami.
    NW? SW? Miami is a big place.

No, I don't know any muscle men down there, but I'm sure that you could put an inquiry someplace on the internet and get *A LOT* of takers. Of course, I don't know how much you will get after the 'takers' "take" it.

Just make sure you don't say 'whatever it takes' or you may be facing rather strong charges from a policia knocking on your door.

Actually, my wife's oldest daughter's boyfriend is rather scary looking, but, he does at least walk upright. He may have some 'people' ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com