Jerome W. Young Guest

Default wood shingle curling

what would you tell the owner to do if the shingles were doing this. it is approx. 5 yr old roof.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: wood shingle curling

The ones curled up like that need to be replaced.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

South side roof surfaces tend to degrade due to higher temperature and UV exposure. A good indication of this is brittle, split and cupped shingles.
    Would not think wood shingles would be a good idea in Florida but what does this Yankee know.

Richard Rushing Guest

Those "shakes" are a very bad idea in Fl. Nothing more than future missiles.

Only 5 years old... Gee, I wonder why? I can't believe the insurance company paid to have the same type shake installed...

RR

Jim Zborowski Guest

Any way you cut it, they need replacement.

Chad Fabry Guest

Hi Richard,

They look like shingles to me; sawn, smooth and only about 3/8 to1/2 thick. I suggest we discuss this further over a drink..or seven

If they're installed over solid decking they'll just keep curling no matter how often they're replaced. Flat grained shingles (not quarter sawn or rift sawn) will twist up as well.

The tops dry, the bottoms don't. The side that's wet is bigger than the side without moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Would not think wood shingles would be a good idea in Florida but what does this Yankee know.

For South Florida, and Jerome's areas is slightly above what is considered 'South' Florida, you Yankees seem to know more than our builders do.

However, even south of were Jerome is to north of him, the climate change is not enough to justify wood shingles and expect long life (not that wood 'shingles' give long life anyway).

In the northern part of the state, though, you could get away with using wood shingles, not that I would want to.

Not counting the Keys, Florida is over 400 miles from south to north, which encompasses quite a bit of climate differences. That's about like going from central Pennsylvania to Northern Maine - which also encompasses quite a bit of climate differences.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Chad,

I'll take you up on that offer.

As far as the shingles/shakes go, there are definately some shingles there. But, there appear also to be some shakes also. If you look closely, the ones that have a 'hard-on' are a minimum 5/8 to 3/4".

But... that's for a different discussion and I will debate the finer points of Merlot vs Glenlivet at the first available opportunity.

Richard

They look like Taper-Sawn shakes to me, which is sawn on all six sides like a shingle, they're just thicker usually 5/8". The curled ones are usually due to being flat-grain as opposed to edge-grain. No really an issue other than aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    No really an issue other than aesthetics.
    Joe,

My understanding of how shingles work, including wood shingles and shakes, is that water sheds down over the top layer, keeping the water out of the gaps in the next layer underneath.

With curled up shingles like that, there is semi-effectively 'one less layer' of shingles to protect against rain water from going through now-exposed-but-should-be-covered-gaps.

Especially with rain and any wind at all, but, even with no wind, I can see that being a problem trying to shed water properly.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You're absolutely right Jerry, under wind-driven rain conditions, you could have exposed key-ways in the lower course which increases your risk to leaks. Up here (vancouver) we get tons of rain and have lots of shake roofs, all of which have a heavy building paper membrane over the spaced sheathing which minimizes or eliminates those leaks.

In a bundle of # 1 taper-sawn shakes they allow for a max of 20% flat-grain which would minimize the curling. Most people would have those shakes replaced when they get real bad like some of the ones shown. Looks like the roofer slipped in few bundles of a lower grade shake in this instance as that amount of curling is excessive.