Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Fair Weather Inspector

I just got a call a little while ago from somebody looking for a home inspection this afternoon. He said he had one scheduled but the inspector called him and canceled due to weather. It's been raining buckets here for two days but it has for the most part stopped. I unfortunately couldn't help him as I already have an afternoon appointment. But I told him he might be better off getting a different inspector if the original one wasn't even willing to get a little wet. The company that bagged on him was a very large nationally known name. Strange.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Fair Weather Inspector

What a weenie.
    Now, if you'll excuse me ...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Tim Moreira Guest

John,

Are you digging out the crawl space access?

In my area there are a many of older two and three story homes and a lot of roof and exterior issues. If I'm on line and have access to the forecast I check it while I'm on the phone, and if the picture in the assessors data-base suggests that the the property would be difficult to inspect from the ground and I do try to encourage clients not to schedule inspections when really nasty weather is expected - no way I want to be fighting with a 32' ladder under such conditions. So suppose I could see myself turning down an inspection for what seems a really picky client if I don't feel I can do it right - excluded items or no, they can still sue.

Thumbs down Re: Fair Weather Inspector

I agree with Michael. I have rescheduled inspections during extreme weather. I ruined a 1,200 camera in the rain even while trying my best to keep it dry. I do like to go right after it stops to find all those leaks and wet crawl spaces.
    Another thing, do you pull the panel covers off in the rain while standing in water?
    Do you get on the roof?
    Can you tell with all the water on the windows they haven't lost there seal.
    To many if's and exclusions for my clients.

So I'm a weenie but a dry one

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Fortunately I'm in Texas and we have a saying, If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes and it'll change! (Except in the Summer when you have two choices, hot or hotter.)
    I do however try to limit my exposure to lightning, tornadoes and such, so I will adjust my schedule for earlier or later in the day.
    Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

What a bunch of whimpettes.

I was inspecting a house, oh, about 6 or so years ago and took this photo as it was approaching ... but I finished my roof inspection before getting down.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So THAT'S how you got dropped on your head?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

If it's raining, it either leaks or it don't leak.

I've always thought rainy weather was a good time to inspect.

5 mp H.P. for $87.00, if it gets wet while I'm out making a few hundred bucks I'll get another.

Too many times I have found leaks around windows, in basements, attics etc when I was raining. So while I can't observe the roof as I'd like, I can see how it's performing when it's wet. And many of these leaks would never have been uncovered had the weather been dry.

I never cancel a job due to rain. When a client calls to postpone I talk them out of it. Pretty easy for them to see my reasoning.

Either way, you can still miss stuff. It's raining and you could miss something on the roof that you couldn't see from the ground. If it's sunny you could miss a leak in a roof that looks like its in great condition when you walk on it. What's important is does the client understand the limitations that we have?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I just got a call a little while ago from somebody looking for a home inspection this afternoon. He said he had one scheduled but the inspector called him and canceled due to weather. It's been raining buckets here for two days but it has for the most part stopped. I unfortunately couldn't help him as I already have an afternoon appointment. But I told him he might be better off getting a different inspector if the original one wasn't even willing to get a little wet. The company that bagged on him was a very large nationally known name. Strange.
    Wasn't me.

Office scheduled and Staff completed 5 today.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Wasn't you Joe. The company name began with Ameri and ended with Spec. Ooops! Did that give it away?

At my inspection today, I found three roof leaks, one interior leak inside a 1st floor closet against the outside wall, and 3-4 interior leaks around windows, all active.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 04-16-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add-on

Question Re: Fair Weather Inspector

To be fair, you may not know the "real" reason the inspection was cancelled.
    Maybe:
    The inspectors house was under a bunch of water and he couldn't get his truck out, or he had leaking issues to deal with and needed to fix those first.

They had double booked and used the weather as an excuse.

Got drenched to the skin over the last few days and decided enough was enough.

Or - he was a weenie.
    JF

Lightning helps with visibility once the clouds roll in

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Unhappy Re: Fair Weather Inspector

If it's a roof leak you will see the stain somewhere right after a rain.
    If it is a window leak there are also tell tale signs.
    I have inspected hundreds of homes in the rain. I just won't do it when it is extreme!
    I also walk roofs in the rain. Worked on them in the rain conditions for 30 years.
    I also have a 40' bucket truck I bought and am restoring so I can get up on those real high ones.

Point being is yes it be nice to see the actual dripping of the water but you still can catch them when it's not raining. At least I have never had a call back for that. (shoot I should'nt of said that).

I know there is weather that you "big bad Boy's" wouldn't go out in, so tell the truth.

5 mp H.P. for $87.00, if it gets wet while I'm out making a few hundred bucks I'll get another.
    And I bet you have dollar store screw drivers and flash lights.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Joe Nernberg Guest

Talking Re: Fair Weather Inspector

I agree with Eric. Rainy days are when I find leaks that I could never locate on a dry day. Drainage problems - you bet!

Nick - I have been "AmeriSpec" for more than 10 years. Don't lump us together. There is an AmeriSpec franchise owner near me that does a terrible job. Name recognition can go either way.

I never turned down a job because of the weather. Although, I live in Southern California and most days are sunny with a chance of earthquakes.