Default OSHA mandate... or BS

I went to the OSHA web site and searched "Roof Anchors", only to come up with 97 documents relating to the term.
    I figured to ask here and save myself some eye strain (hopefully)

Here's the problem/question.

Did 2 inspections yesterday. Both were brand new homes. Never lived in. Aside from some other problems which I will probably post about under different headings, I found Roof Anchors left in place on both houses (see picture)

I asked the builders rep. about them and was told that OSHA now mandates that they be left in place for future roof work.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Default Re: OSHA mandate... or BS

Vic,

This must be a regional thing.

Just got off the phone with one of the larger roofing firms around here. Family friend for over 30 years.

NO, was his reply to leaving fall protection devices of any kind, OSHA or no OSHA.

This is about as good as it gets around here, note the inviso-underlayment

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Fall protection devices, what are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor DaGraca View Post
    I went to the OSHA web site and searched "Roof Anchors", only to come up with 97 documents relating to the term.
    I figured to ask here and save myself some eye strain (hopefully)

Here's the problem/question.

Did 2 inspections yesterday. Both were brand new homes. Never lived in. Aside from some other problems which I will probably post about under different headings, I found Roof Anchors left in place on both houses (see picture)

I asked the builders rep. about them and was told that OSHA now mandates that they be left in place for future roof work.

Anyone heard of such a thing?
    Yes, I have been told the same. I forgot the Builders name but they are a regional company out of Atlanta, GA. They build large homes in the 1M to 3M range.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Aside from the potential for rusting, and leaving unsightly streaks on the shingles, does anyone see a problem with leaving the roof anchors in place?

www.Home2Spec.com

Steve Lowery Guest

I dont want one hanging off of my new house-uglier than a mother-in-laws heart.
    Would anyone want to hook up to it w/out seeing it's soundness?

There was a recent thread where a few inspectors have started seeing them.

Mostly, as I recall, installed incorrectly, though.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is a picture of what I have been seeing. They have a rubber boot over the ring that they attach on to it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I went back over previous threads on this, and, apparently they are being installed "mid roof"

The ones I ran across were attached at the ridge.

Looks like the house is ready for a helicopter lift or handy roof tie down points during a hurricane ( still looks like doo-doo.)

I found them on the net...... here

www.Home2Spec.com

Update:

I decided to contact OSHA on this issue and here is their reply.

Subject: FW: Construction question Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:45:15 -0500 From:"Gwen Thomas" To:victor@home2spec.com

Thank you for your e-mail. Your e-mail has been referred to the standards office for response.

There is no specific OSHA standard that requires “"Roof Anchors” to be left in place once the job is complete. OSHA does however require fall protection for all trades that will be performing tasks on the roof. Leaving the anchors in place will allow trades fall protection tie off points for future jobs.

The following link may provide additional information on OSHA’s position and what is available:

08/03/1999 - Fall protection methods when assembling and installing roofs.
    Safety Standards for Fall Protection in the Construction Industry. - 64:38077-38086

Any additional information can be found on our websites at South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation or Occupational Safety and Health Administration - OSHA HOME PAGE
    I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me in the OSHA Standards Office at (803) 896-7682 or by e-mail.

Sincerely,

Gwendolyn M. Thomas
    Gwendolyn M. Thomas
    OSHA Standards Office Supervisor
    SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
    (803) 896-7682
    (803) 896-7670 Fax

Last edited by Victor DaGraca; 02-19-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: E-mails don't copy and paste very well
    www.Home2Spec.com

I see them fairly frequently in my area on newer construction. I don't note anything unless I see them improperly installed in the attic. The worst thing would be a workman thinking it's a safe tie-off point and then falling.

The brackets I see (from the attic) are designed to go through a 2X8 piece of lumber. When 2X4 trusses are used there should be a second 'scrap' piece installed to simulate a 2X8.

This info is a bit speculative as I've never read or been told this by anyone. I've just seen them installed many times with all of the holes on the brackets filled with nails to solid lumber... So, when I see them not that way it concerns me.

I work in the same area as Matt F. I see them on most newer homes (mostly the ones that Scott P. posted). The ones I see are called "super anchors" I believe-- that is usually what is written on the flashing seen while inspecting the roof.