JD Johnson Guest

Default Debris in combustion chamber

I have inspected a lot of gas fired water heaters, but have never seen any thing like the metal plates I found on this one. Does anyone have a clue what these plates are from? I wrote it up as a deficent condition that needed corrected, but I don't have a clue what they are, or how they got there...although my guess is they were dropped down from the heat vent.

Thanks for any advice, be careful out there and have a great 2008!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Debris in combustion chamber

The flue baffle ("turbulator") detached from its support at its upper end, fell down into contact with the burners, and melted.

http://www.blueflame.org/images/yourwaterheatera1.gif
    http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com...s/std_gas6.jpg

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-02-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Good find & nice picture JD

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    The flue baffle ("turbulator") detached from its support at its upper end, fell down into contact with the burners, and melted.
    Michael,

Correct, but I always thought that was a strange name as its purpose is to help create a vortex spiral of hot combustion by-products so it goes up the center flue better. Otherwise, there could be turbulence created in the flue, causing a 'boiling up' effect in the air, reducing the efficiency of the upward flow.

At least that's what I learned many years ago (Bob H. will correct me if this is incorrect ).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Michael,

Correct, but I always thought that was a strange name as its purpose is to help create a vortex spiral of hot combustion by-products so it goes up the center flue better. Otherwise, there could be turbulence created in the flue, causing a 'boiling up' effect in the air, reducing the efficiency of the upward flow.

At least that's what I learned many years ago (Bob H. will correct me if this is incorrect ).

My understanding is the intention is to improve efficiency by increasing heat transfer from the exhaust gases to the surrounding material, for example:

"The water heater contains a turbulator in each firetube, which increases flue gas velocity against the tube wall. This increased velocity does two things. 1. Transfers more heat into the water thus reducing fuel cost. 2. Helps in maintaining a cleaner tube wall should combustion adjustment change (which can produce sooting",

pp 12 here:

http://www.hubbellheaters.com/pdf/ModelDFOM.pdf

----------------

Tabulators in residential hot water heaters usually hang by to small "ears", and are sometimes dislodged during shipping or installation, so you can see this on a brand new heater(!)

Here's my verbiage:

Observation: The flue baffel (turbulator) at the hot water heater has become dislodged and has fallen on to the burners below.

Analysis: A missing or damaged flue baffle can affect the efficiency of the water heater and produce unsafe operation. If the water heater is otherwise undamaged, a qualified service person may be able to remove the damaged flue baffle and install a new one. If they cannot, the water heater will have to be replaced. If replacement is required, this will be a substantial expense.

Recommendation: Have a qualified and insured plumber or HVAC contractor repair or replace the water heater as required.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

As a wise man once said, "one picture is worth a thousand words."

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Enlarged the water heater schematic for older eyes.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Cool Re: Debris in combustion chamber

Turbulator is for improved heat transfer. Without it, you could have laminar airflow. That means only the boundary layer of hot gases would be in contact with the heat exchanger walls. By creating turbulence, more heat rubs against the heat exhanger, thus improving efficiency.

The current theory is that smoke follows a spiral pattern on its own, all this considered equal. May have something to do with the Coriolis Effect. The turbulator does not speed up gases--it slows them down allowing more time for heat transfer. It adds flue restriction.

The question for this water heater pictured is: did the turbulator fall on its own somehow then get all melted and distorted or was the unit overfired, which resulted in this condition?Either way, the base of the tank may have been stressed to where it will soon fail. Probably ought to replace the entire unit.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

JD Johnson Guest

Thanks for all the great advice. We have only about 30% gas water heaters in our area, so it is great to be able to ask for advice from others who inspect these appliances on a more frequent basis!