robert williams Guest

Talking Elevated house wiring

Hello All,

New to this forum, but do have a question concerning the wiring under an elevated home. This house is new and elevated 9 feet off the ground. It will be having a vinyl ceiling put under the house and will be somewhat closed in with lattice work.

It is presently wired for numerous outlets attached to the piers under the house, out of direct weather and wired for lights and fans, also out of direct weather. It is wired on three (3) different circuits from the main box to seperate the sections under the house. The wiring is run theough PVC from the box, which is only about five feet away, to boxes that will be above the ceiling for distribution to the sections. The wiring is 12/2 with ground, romex, and it checks out for grounds etc. throughout all the recepticles.

The breakers are not GFI's.

I guess my question is since it is not directly exposed to the weather under the house do the breakers have to be GFI's and since the wiring is not exterior type wire is this acceptable?

Thanks for the help, and enjoy the forum.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Elevated house wiring

Quote Originally Posted by robert williams View Post
    Hello All,

New to this forum, but do have a question concerning the wiring under an elevated home. This house is new and elevated 9 feet off the ground. It will be having a vinyl ceiling put under the house and will be somewhat closed in with lattice work.

It is presently wired for numerous outlets attached to the piers under the house, out of direct weather and wired for lights and fans, also out of direct weather. It is wired on three (3) different circuits from the main box to seperate the sections under the house. The wiring is run theough PVC from the box, which is only about five feet away, to boxes that will be above the ceiling for distribution to the sections. The wiring is 12/2 with ground, romex, and it checks out for grounds etc. throughout all the recepticles.

The breakers are not GFI's.

I guess my question is since it is not directly exposed to the weather under the house do the breakers have to be GFI's and since the wiring is not exterior type wire is this acceptable?

Thanks for the help, and enjoy the forum.
    All exterior outlets need to be GFCI protected. Also you said that the wiring is run through PVC{water pipe}. PVC is not approved for electrical use, it degrades in sun light over time.

All of this depends on the local AHJ and the area you are in.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 02-05-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added water pipe for PVC.. Thanks Jerry!!
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    All exterior outlets need to be GFCI protected.
    As Scott said, GFCI protection for all exterior receptacle outlets.

Also you said that the wiring is run through PVC. PVC is not approved for electrical use, it degrades in sun light over time.
    PVC electrical conduit (non-metallic conduit) IS suitable for use outdoors, it is sunlight resistant.

Also, make sure any all cables run outside are not regular NM cables, but are marked "Sunlight Resistant" on them.

Make sure all receptacle outlet covers are the proper type (most likely the bubble type) and all electrical fixtures and ceiling fans are rated for outdoor use (damp or wet location - depending on how protected they are from wind driven rain).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

robert williams Guest

Wink Re: Elevated house wiring

Thanks for the reply's. The PVC is non-metalic and the exposed romex wiring is above the ceiling so it will never see sunlight. I will inform the owner that the breakers must be GFI's, which is what I felt they should have been, not sure why the electrician didn't do that in the first place?

The fans and lights are not up yet, but will also inform him concerning the exterior use.

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by robert williams View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. The PVC is non-metalic and the exposed romex wiring is above the ceiling so it will never see sunlight. I will inform the owner that the breakers must be GFI's, which is what I felt they should have been, not sure why the electrician didn't do that in the first place?

The fans and lights are not up yet, but will also inform him concerning the exterior use.

Thanks Again
    Robert all PVC is non-metallic. You need to have PVC electrical conduit and not PVC water pipe. The "Romex" does not need to be in direct sunlight, indirect light will degrade the cover on it as well but just not as fast.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The "Romex" does not need to be in direct sunlight, indirect light will degrade the cover on it as well but just not as fast.
    As Scott said - if it is outside, the NM cable MUST be sunlight resistant. If it is not, then it MUST be protected from sunlight with a suitable and approved cover (raceway comes to mind, but you could make a wooden chase over it as long as you were mindful of the clearances or plating required for protection from nails).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com