Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-Inspections

Default Re: Re-Inspections

Kevin
    “How many times do we go back out and see that the "so called fix" was done wrong. A lot. If you were buying the house, would you want to have that person come back to see if that problem was fixed properly? I would think yes. Charge for you to come back is your choice.”See last Jerry P post, which, BTW, are my sentiments in toto exactement!!!

“Jerry, if you don't mind, what did you charge for a home inspection compared to other home inspectors in your area?”$375.00 to 2,000 sq. ft.; 425.00, 2000 sq. ft. to 3,000 sq. ft.; over 3,000 sq. ft call for a quote. However, this was what I was charging when I retired in November of 1998. The average home inspection price in my area runs $600 per + in the mid peninsula (20 miles south of San Francisco) as the average home costs a million plus. Proof of the old real estate adage; location; location; location. In the HI profession it; disclosure, disclosure; disclosure. If you figured in the cost of living index from 1998 to 2007 the inspectors in my area should be charging around a thousand for an inspection. Kevin, the problem with the figures you quoted is they are gross sales and the take-home after expenses is way - way undervalued. Who do you suppose sets the average price in whatever area you practice in? Right, and that’s what makes me sad.

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Wow!

Man, I hope to reach that level of self confidence and knowledge one day.

In the meantime, though, I will be struggling with knowing all that I do not know while I try to find even more that I do not yet know I do not know.
    I was trying to be funny....I learn new stuff every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Who do you suppose sets the average price in whatever area you practice in? Right, and that’s what makes me sad.
    What makes me sad is that the bargain price guys can't figure out that they don't have to be that low. They could get to within $50 of me and would still get the price shoppers and the referrals from the desperate realtors. Then I could raise my prices even more, then they could, then I could........Eventually, we could have Inspections appropriately priced.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Kevin,
    You are talking about gross income and not net. You need to do "The cost of business" that Brian has. If you already have, maybe you should review it.
    JF

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Whenever I hear a home inspector say. “I’ve never been sued” I usually add under my breath, “yet.” In California the fat lady doesn’t sing until four years after the date of the inspection according to California Civil Code 7199, and until that specific time arrives all home inspectors are vulnerable to litigation. “Blessing” corrective work by others at best doubles the chances of litigation and unless an inspector thinks he/she can make up what the suit may cost them by charging for inspecting corrective work I fail to understand the motive for living so dangerously? Home inspectors are the purveyors of information, no more, no less, and at times much of that information can be of a negative nature. The chief problem is the value of their service is pathetically undervalued by not only the public, but by the inspectors themselves especially when you compare it to the value real estate agents provide and the amount of their reward. (BTW, I like Jack’s comments)

Jerry,

The answer is simple, greed! Or, what I like to call "The Vampire Syndrome".
    Sucking every last dollar out of a Client while convincing them that you are helping them.

I know, I know........"we will have to agree to disagree"........

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Dave Bush Guest

I do very few reinspections. I did one last week, Client lives in Denver and was moving to this area. Original inspection noted a double tapped 60 amp breaker with a #14 wire. I reinspected to ensure that the undersized wire was removed and a proper 15 amp breaker was installed. Buyer had a receipt from an electrician, but he wanted to make sure that what was repaired was what I had recommended.

Dave Bush Guest

Jeff, and how is that different from doing the initial inspection?

I often do re-inspections. I beleave what you have to be carefull of is how you frase your findings. Never use all inclusive language such as "is" repaired, or "does not" leak. I allways state that things appear to have been repaired and I allway recommend monitoring and requisting receipts from contractors. I do not see re-inspections as anything other than determining if an effort or what type of effor has been made to correct problems found.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post
    I often do re-inspections. I believe what you have to be carefull of is how you phrase your findings. Never use all inclusive language such as "is" repaired, or "does not" leak. I always state that things appear to have been repaired and I always recommend monitoring and requesting receipts from contractors. I do not see re-inspections as anything other than determining if an effort or what type of effort has been made to correct problems found.

James
    So, if your Client was there with you and you showed him everything you found wrong, couldn't he then go back and say "Everything appeared to be repaired"?

James Duffin Guest

I am a bit confused...

Say I do an inspection and find a rotten board under the rear patio door. The buyer (my client) calls and says the board has been replaced and he would like for me to come take a look to see if the repair had been done.

I tell him I do not do re-inspections and he needs to call another inspector. So he calls another inspector and they tell him it looks OK to them but since they did not see the original problem then they can't say if it was fixed or not. The second inspector is now the "last man in" but in his eyes he is the "first man in" so to cover his butt he will find a new problem to be repaired so he will not be the latest "last man in". This could go on forever until the poor buyer finds an inspector who does re-inspections.

How does this scenario sound to you guys? Is this a normal day for the folks who don't do re-inspections?

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I am a bit confused...

Say I do an inspection and find a rotten board under the rear patio door. The buyer (my client) calls and says the board has been replaced and he would like for me to come take a look to see if the repair had been done.

I tell him I do not do re-inspections and he needs to call another inspector. So he calls another inspector and they tell him it looks OK to them but since they did not see the original problem then they can't say if it was fixed or not. The second inspector is now the "last man in" but in his eyes he is the "first man in" so to cover his butt he will find a new problem to be repaired so he will not be the latest "last man in". This could go on forever until the poor buyer finds an inspector who does re-inspections.

How does this scenario sound to you guys? Is this a normal day for the folks who don't do re-inspections?
    Jim,
    Using your scenario, you would first have to be a little bit more specific as to what you found. By that I mean, was it just one board or, is there a possibility of more damage beneath.

Here in South Florida, most homes are on concrete slabs so that issue doesn't come up. Except, for the occasional two-story home that is wood frame on the second story. Now we can begin.

Report: Damaged wood observed under master bedroom sliding glass door with the possibility of damaged sub-floor and framing.

Now, if someone comes in and replaces "one board" and fails to address any other damage, you couldn't see it, nor, as I would explain to my Client, could anyone else. I would instruct my Client to have an invoice stating that either there was no damage beneath the rotted board or that there was and it was repaired, preferably with pictures to prove it.

In most cases here, I recommend that my Clients take any money that they may get for repairs and have their own contractors do the work under their watchful eye. The way the market is now, most deals are "as is" with right to inspect. The Sellers are starting to have to make repairs again as the market is soft.

Speaking of re-inspections, I inspected a home two weeks ago. It is the one in the electric section here with the faux painted panel cover. The house had many electrical problems. Triple lugging at the main fuse, under serviced, and someone had taken out the fuses in the interior panel and slapped in the guts from a Square D breaker panel and then screwed the panel cover to the wall.

An "electrician" went out and did the repairs. My Clients attorney called me to go out and re-inspect. I told him I didn't and didn't need to. He asked why? I told him to send me the invoice which he did.

The first thing that was missing from the invoice was the permit fee. Here in South Florida, according to the building code, there are only a few things exempt from permitting.

From the South Florida Building Code:
    105.1 Required.

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

The only items exempt from a permit are:

105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Gas:

1. Portable heating appliance.

2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.

Mechanical:

1. Portable heating appliance.

2. Portable ventilation equipment.

3. Portable cooling unit.

4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.

5. Replacement of any part which does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.

6. Portable evaporative cooler.

7. Self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.

8. The installation, replacement, removal or metering of any load management control device.

Plumbing:

1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drain pipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

105.2.1 Emergency repairs.

Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.

105.2.2 Minor repairs.

Ordinary minor repairs may be made with the approval of the building official without a permit, provided the repairs do not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; additionally, ordinary minor repairs shall not include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring systems or mechanical equipment or other work affecting public health or general safety, and such repairs shall not violate any of the provisions of the technical codes.

That is because no permit was pulled. The work that was done was a service change, new lines and correction of everything else I found wrong. For the panel that had the fuses replaced with breakers, the "electrician" drilled four new holes in the cover and bolted it on. All is well!

Not according to Square D!
    If you ever encounter this, you may copy the following:

Good Afternoon, Mr. Van De Ven,

The Square D QO and Homeline loadcenters are marketed, and submitted to UL, as
    an interior factory installed into the enclosure. Using a QO130M200 as an
    example, the interior's label will state "Cat. No. QO130M200" and "Use in Box:
    BX30C". Further, the box label located on the enclosure will state "See
    panelboard interior for Catalog No." and "Box Cat. No. BX30C". This same label
    will also call out the appropriate cover to be used with the specific
    interior/enclosure. In this example, the box label would also state "Use Cover
    Cat. No. QOC30US or QOC30UF". These statement tie the appropriate
    interior/enclosure/cover together as they are submitted to, tested and listed by
    UL. Therefore, an installation that does not have the correct components mated
    to each other would not be compliant with the UL listing.

Further comments on the use of the cover installed as you have noted:
    1. The panels are short circuit tested with the cover installed, with the
    factory provided screws, through the factory provided holes, mounted to the
    appropriate enclosure. Any other means of installation would not ensure the
    integrity of the cover if subjected to a short circuit.
    2. I would doubt that they would be fortunate enough to have the covers
    deadfront seat down on the breakers snug enough to not allow for gaps. If this
    assumption is correct, then you would have an unsafe condition if something
    could penetrate between the interior trim and the interior.

I hope that this info can be of assistance to you, Eric. Let me know if you need
    anything further.

Regards,
    Rick Snapp
    Product Technical Support Group

The point is, I didn't have to do a re-inspection. Just reading the invoice I knew that the work wasn't done properly or permitted.
    The attorney put $5,000.00 in an escrow account so the Client can now get a qualified electrician to make the repairs.

By the way, my Client called and thanked me for the job and appreciated the fact that I didn't charge them for a service they did not need, the re-inspection. Some other inspector was going to do it for $150.00.

...my Client called and thanked me for the job and appreciated the fact that I didn't charge them for a service they did not need, the re-inspection.

But you DID provide the service. The service just didn't require a trip to the property.

Your review of the invoice and discussion with the interested parties involving the details of the "repair", constitute a re-inspection of sorts.

I know you cringe at the thought, but you re-inspected the work for them, found it was sub-standard, and advised them of such. Just because it was "free of charge", doesn't change the outcome. I'd do the same thing, you're clearly interested in helping your client.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    But you DID provide the service. The service just didn't require a trip to the property.

Your review of the invoice and discussion with the interested parties involving the details of the "repair", constitute a re-inspection of sorts.

I know you cringe at the thought, but you re-inspected the work for them, found it was sub-standard, and advised them of such. Just because it was "free of charge", doesn't change the outcome. I'd do the same thing, you're clearly interested in helping your client.

Dom.
    Actually Dom,
    All I did was ask one question, Was a permit pulled? The fact that one wasn't indicates that the work is probably sub standard. I mean if you can't even do the first thing right,the simplest thing, how can anyone with half a brain assume that anything thereafter will be done right?

I guess if you wanted to split hairs, I may have done a re-inspection, sorta kinda, but here, all I have to tell my Clients to do, which I do, is ask the simple question, was a permit pulled? After that question is answered, I am not really needed any longer. If a permit was pulled and everything was inspected and signed off on, everything has gone as it should. If no permit was pulled, now there will be problems and I am more than glad to help them solve those.

Just so everyone is clear, I don't throw my Clients under the bus if they ask for a re-inspection. I, as one of our famed posters would say, "educate" them on how to solve their problems. Many have thanked me for it.

I agree Eric. I wasn't trying to bust your chops about it, a consultation concerning repairs can help clients avoid headaches.

If a permit was pulled and everything was inspected and signed off on, everything has gone as it should.

Not so fast; as is the case with new construction, just because a Permit is pulled, and inspections are signed off, doesn't mean too much. I'm sure you've seen that on job sites many, many times.

That's one reason clients should seek "someone" to verify repairs, for the same reasons we tell them to hire us to inspect their newly constructed house.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I agree Eric. I wasn't trying to bust your chops about it, a consultation concerning repairs can help clients avoid headaches.

Not so fast; as is the case with new construction, just because a Permit is pulled, and inspections are signed off, doesn't mean too much. I'm sure you've seen that on job sites many, many times.

That's one reason clients should seek "someone" to verify repairs, for the same reasons we tell them to hire us to inspect their newly constructed house.

Dom.
    If a permit was pulled and everything was inspected and signed off on, everything has gone as it should. I should have said "In a perfect world"!

[quote=Eric Van De Ven;5723]From the South Florida Building Code:[/quote]

Er ... ummmm ... You mean "The Florida Building Code", right?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

[QUOTE=Jerry Peck;5776]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van De Ven View Post
    From the South Florida Building Code:[/quote]

Er ... ummmm ... You mean "The Florida Building Code", right?

James Jackson Guest

I guess there's not many of you guys doing FHA & HUD inspections out there. Re-inspections are my bread & butter!. With FHA & HUD no other inspector an re-inspect except the original inspector. The fees are the same since it is simply another inspection. Regarding whether the work was done properly or not leaves another question. FHA & HUD simply ask was the roof repaired or replaced (since you made the call). There is no liability as to the workmanship or if it was done with permits. If you feel that it was not done properly...call it out! There will be a 3rd inspection fee involved.

Electrical panels seem to have more problems than the roofs.

Mo inspections mean mo money!

(bold in the quote below is mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Jackson View Post
    I guess there's not many of you guys doing FHA & HUD inspections out there. Re-inspections are my bread & butter!. With FHA & HUD no other inspector an re-inspect except the original inspector. The fees are the same since it is simply another inspection. Regarding whether the work was done properly or not leaves another question. FHA & HUD simply ask was the roof repaired or replaced (since you made the call). There is no liability as to the workmanship or if it was done with permits. If you feel that it was not done properly...call it out! There will be a 3rd inspection fee involved.

Electrical panels seem to have more problems than the roofs.

Mo inspections mean mo money!
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you are opening yourself up to the same liability as every other inspector, unless you ALWAYS say 'no', then it gets into something which rings horribly ugly in your post - every re-inspection is more money.

Seems to me (to *me*) to be more of a *I'll do as many re-inspections as I can, 'cause it makes more money, and that's what I'm in this for.*

Do you do mold is gold inspections too? Just wondering.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you are opening yourself up to the same liability as every other inspector, unless you ALWAYS say 'no', then it gets into something which rings horribly ugly in your post - every re-inspection is more money.

Seems to me (to *me*) to be more of a *I'll do as many re-inspections as I can, 'cause it makes more money, and that's what I'm in this for.*

Answers to "ALL" yoour questions can be found here Jerry:
    Florida Home Inspections by Castrillo Home Service

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

James said.........."What is the correct way to tell a previous client that you will not re-inspect the same house they entrusted to you two weeks earlier? The insurance thing is not going to cut it in my opnion. Too much like 'I have already got your money so screw you...I don't need you no more!' "

James, if you as an inspector carry E&O and your carrier does not extend coverage for reinspects, I don't understand how you feel that is not a valid stance for turning down reinspect requests. If you want to do them, then have at it. While all of us should have our client's best interests at heart, we also have to think about ourselves and the businesses we have worked hard to build. Some E&O carriers and their employees tell us it a bad idea. Bob Pearson with Allen Insurance told us during a "Limiting Your Liability" seminar at a NAHI national convention that reinspects are a bad idea.

Yes, there are unscrupulous contractors and people who do not know how to properly repair something. But, we can't save everybody from poor workmanship. If repairs were completed properly and in a professional manner, the individuals who performed the work should have no problem putting everything in writing and backing up their work. If they can't do that, then the repairs should be considered suspect. A reinspect does not change this.

Kevin Luce Guest

I inspected a house that had some big problems. The buyers backed out of the deal and three months later, another couple called me up wanting me to inspect the same house. When I got there, the seller fixed some of the problems I noted from the first inspection. I would have had a problem informing the second buyers that I could not inspect those items fixed because I didn't want the liability.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Kevin, I turned down an inspection request last year for the very reason you just stated. It was a Philly rehab and the quality of the work I saw during the inspection was atrocious. The way I looked at it, I already knew enough about the quality of the work done the first time around to feel comfortable putting my blessing on it for a 2nd inspection even if it appeared OK. In short, I had no confidence based on what I saw to think the seller was going to fix things the right way.

Not saying either of us was right or wrong Kevin but everybody has their own comfort level when it comes to issues like these.

Cool Re: Re-Inspections

There seems to be far more lemmings out there looking for a cliff then I ever suspected. Also, why the worry about saying, “I don’t do reinspections?” I would tell those folks to take a good look at the real estate contracts the local agents are using as most cover the area of repairs rather well.

Of course there’s lots of agents who are not familiar with many details in their own contracts except for the part that quotes a 6% commission. There are also plenty of bottom feeding inspectors who consistently violate their own association’s code of ethics and SOPs and don’t know the difference between a king stud and a jack rafter. However, if every home was perfectly built and all repairs and additions where professionally performed where would we be?

Jerry McCarthy

Kevin Luce Guest

Changing the subject a little. I got a call from a buyer that I've done two inspections for in the last month. He wants me to do another inspection for a house he is looking for and guess who the seller is: His Realtor! His Realtor is the seller, the sellers agent and the buyers agent. I don't know what kind of agreement they have but on the surface, it looks messed up. First time I've seen this.

James Jackson Guest

Absolutely...even in water damaged cars!

Yes I'm in business to make money, aren't you? Our step in the door price on a typical home inspection up to 2000 SF is $725 (not including mold) & yours?

Actually I do Thermography, Forensic Building Investigations, Luxury Homes 5 - 30K SF, Historical homes, 1st time home buyers, condos, Mold, Water Intrusion, HUD, FHA, Public housing, Section 8, HUD REAC, HECM, Short Sale, Home Warrantee, Home Maintenance, Pre- Purchase, New construction, Insurance, Commercial, Phase I & II, REAC consulting/training, business coaching for inspectors, Teach (thermography, mold, HUD/FHA, New construction, Virtual Classes, EIFS, pool, seawalls, Realtors, and conferences) I sub out yachts, airplanes, termite, radon, lead, asbestos, elevator, and motorcoaches - each is a revenue source.

The bottom line is every business has risks. Where do you choose to entend or limit your risks? I choose to not drive a piece of crap & leak oil on a beatiful new driveway (risk & liability), I choose to "farm out" things I'm not qualified to do but I make $ off the subs. I choose to work 12 years by relationship marketing & never visit a Realtors office or print anything more than a business card, yet consistantly earn a large 6 figure income as a single inspector. I choose to run my business as what it is...a business which makes business decisions daily (which involve risks).

This is a VERY LARGE DEAD HORSE & this boy ain't kickin it no mo.

If you're ever at a convention where I'm teaching, drop by or attend one of my seminars. Your welcome to tune in to my radio show each 3rd sat from 9am - 10am at WKAT - South Florida's Christian Talk .

Reinspections is a foolish subject matter...same as religion & politics - all opinions & all are right (in the person giving the opinion eyes).

Later,

Florida Home Inspections by Castrillo Home Service

James Duffin Guest

James....

You are amazing as are all James!

WOW! What a thread..... I honestly just read the whole thing because it's a topic that I deal with almost daily.

A couple funny things struck me....

Whomever asked the question 'why do insurance refuse coverage anyway?' definitely gets the silly question award. Why do insurance companies do anything? $$$$$$$$$$$ Obviously, they've paid out a disproportionate amount on re-inspections.

I find it funny that someone can infer that since they've never been burned doing something means they never will. Even better, they tell others that they never will either.

It's clear that the hardliners are set in their ways and that is the great thing about running a business in this country. You can do so as you please. At least until a lawyer gets a hold of you.

The fact is at the end of the day a re-inspection is higher liability. You can tell 'I've been doing it for 10,000 years' stories all you like but the statistics are unavoidable.... remember that whole insurance company thing?

The good news for most of you is that you're competent, experienced inspectors and the chances of you as an individual getting burned are relatively low.

With all of this being said I still do some re-inspections but it has to be under a certain set of circumstances. Of course I club my buyer over the head with all the disclaimers and clearly tell them just what I'm able to do and not do. I think they are still okay for checking for a performanced based item in an crawl space or attic or somewhere a buyer or agent isn't going to go (has the heating duct been strapped back in place? Are the wood scraps picked up?, etc.) Unfortunately, in my area re-inspections are an industry standard and I have to do some. I'd rather not but I just can't afford to stick out and be perceived as the one grumpy company.

My final thought would be for anyone who is still doing them, realize the dangers and act accordingly.

BTW.... I own a multi-inspector company and do about 1500 inspection per year. So, you could say my statistics are a bit concentrated. We've had two claims over the last 5 years that couldn't be settled prior to going to court and both were a direct result of a re-inspection.

I choose to "farm out" things I'm not qualified to do but I make $ off the subs.
    You do realize that you are responsible for their work, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van De Ven View Post
    You do realize that you are responsible for their work, don't you?
    Eric,

Ever heard the phrase 'Don't tug on Superman's cape. Don't spit into the wind. Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger. ... ? (Jim Croce)

I think that was Superman himself talking there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Jackson Guest

The word "disclosure" comes to mind as does "too many cooks in the kitchen-spoil the food" (not quoted verbatim but I'm sure I'll be corrected as I have been already)

At the sake of being redundant (repetative) ... the dead horse has left the building.

If you care to speak more on this subject or more call me direct at 1-866-899-MOLD (6653)

I'll be spending valuable time marketing & making $ rather than quoting song lyrics & responding to further blogs on a never ending subject matter.

P.S. Google Earth is a Great tool for roof inspections

Cool Re: Re-Inspections

This thread’s subject is both old and long and without reading all of the posts I’ll say that Messieurs. Van De Ven, Greenwalt, and Feldmann have it right and Jerry Peck has it absolutely right.

I pity those that would argue against such sound reasoning, but then again its inspectors like these that keep a steady flow of income into my bank account.

If one’s E&O policy doesn’t cover such absurdity isn’t that a clue that you may be swimming in shark infested waters? Nah…………. obviously not. My attorney clients call them “chummers.”

Jerry McCarthy

Eric,

Ever heard the phrase 'Don't tug on Superman's cape. Don't spit into the wind. Don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger. ... ? (Jim Croce)

I think that was Superman himself talking there.
    Yes, Jerry, I have.

Here is what the attorneys are going to be singing......

I found an empty house in my neighborhood,
    I knew that we shouldn't but I thought we could.
    Knew it wouldn't be hard to slide into the backyard,
    Called all my friends and slipped a hundred to the guard.
    We turned on the radio and had a party on the patio.

Betty's in the sauna and she's getting kind of hot,
    Mary's in the icebox wishin' she was not.
    Connie's in the whirlpool, Jimmy's tryin' to be cool,
    Libby's in the bushes 'cause she's nobody's fool.
    We turned the lights down low and had a party on the patio.

Heard the cops are coming so we tried to jump the fence,
    Mary didn't make it and we haven't seen her since.
    Connie had another drink, Jimmy simply couldn't think,
    Billy G. was passed out underneath the sink.
    But everybody's gonna show for another party on the patio.

ZZ Top...Party on the Patio

The word "disclosure" comes to mind as does "too many cooks in the kitchen-spoil the food" (not quoted verbatim but I'm sure I'll be corrected as I have been already)
    The phrase "Contractor and sub-contractor relationship" comes to mind. You may want to ask your attorney or E & O carrier about that.

Last edited by Eric Van De Ven; 06-22-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Russel Ray Guest

THEY are asking you to bless the repair, or tell them it is bad, in which case they will need to call you again to bless the new repair, or tell them it is bad, in which case they will need to call you again ...

*IF* THEY get the proper documentation and warranties from the "licensed contractors", THEY can hold those licensed contractors to the warranties and correct bad repairs.
    But if some newbie licensed contractor did the repair, and it's wrong, or the seller said the repairs were done but they "cannot find the receipt right now," and the repairs actually were not done, who's going to tell my Client that the repairs were not done right, or were not done at all? I don't think it's going to be the seller or either of the two Realtors. So that leaves me, and I'm only too happy to continue to HELP my Clients hours, days, weeks, months, and years after the inspection. It's the right thing to do. I'd rather my Clients know now rather than in six months when the roof leaks and they lose the last known color picture of their wise ol' grandmother. At that point, it's too late, notwithstanding who did the work, receipts, etc.

Russel Ray Guest

Russel said it most honestly: "Re-inspections are a very lucrative part of my business ... "
    My wise ol' grandmother taught me to be honest. She said that if I was always honest, I wouldn't have to remember whom I lied to. She was right. Honesty is such a breeze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12