Kendall Goad Guest

Default No Info on unit.

Had my first true inspection today on a 900 sq ft home.
    Came across this Central Air unit and there is no specification panel or any other info attached indicating size or age. Not even a model number.
    I all know is it is a GE. Any ideals?

Appreciate any input.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: No Info on unit.

It is old and even if it works, they shoul budget for replacement.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Looks like about like a 25 year old GE.

How old was the house?

I agree with Jim - replace it.

That's what I told my sister when she bought here house last summer and had the same 25 year old GE unit - replace it, and she did.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-06-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kendall Goad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Looks like about like a 25 year old GE.

How old was the house?
    The house is approx. 40 years old, but was completely remodeled in the last 5 years. Well, completely except for the Heating and Air Conditioning.
    The occupant/seller did inform me that there has been replacement parts installed. Not sure what or when.
    I am recommending in my report that a HVAC professional be contacted for further inspection and testing.

Richard Rushing Guest

Kendall,

We run across this all the time with older homes. While the unit may actually work, it behoves you to give your client as much direction as possible while looking out for their interests.

One way is to just come out and say that the unit is equal to a 20 year old dog. No use in investing in high-dollar collar.

At the very minimum, you want to insure that the unit will be covered under a home warranty policy. Something like;

Recommendation:
    Due to the age and condition of this unit/ system, it is my recommendation to have a licensed and qualified HVAC contractor provide cleaning/maintenance, service repairs and remove all pre-existing conditions that would otherwise prevent coverage under a home warranty policy. If, for whatever reason, pre-existing conditions (which would preclude coverage under a home warranty policy) cannot be abated/repaired/removed, it is my recommendation to have the system replaced. I also recommend that the buyers and their representatives have the licensed and qualified HVAC contractor provide this service prior to the expiration of all buyer options.

I've had realtors call me after inserting the above recommendation and ask, where do we find such an HVAC contractor? I just tell em to call up the home warranty company they are using and find a company in their network. Everyone gets what they need-- repairs or replacement.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Goad View Post
    I am recommending in my report that a HVAC professional be contacted for further inspection and testing.
    That just leave it open for them to tell your client that it does NOT need to be replaced, as 'Heck, you HI did not even think it needed replacing.'.

Instead, recommend it be replaced, HIs 'cannot require anything anyway', so do your client a favor and tell them it is old and needs to be replaced. Let someone else take it upon themselves to say otherwise.

This is what I used to say about old a/c systems:

Just like an old junker car, you can replace virtually every piece in that air handler or condenser unit, except unlike that old junker car, you don't end up with a "Classic Car", all you end up with is an old junker a/c unit with new parts, and there is nothing "Classic" about that.

Even a Classic 1960s Cadillac is still a "Gas Hog", it is just a "Pretty" "Gas Hog".

My clients like those descriptions because they could relate to them and understand the meaning behind them.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Goad View Post
    The occupant/seller did inform me that there has been replacement parts installed. Not sure what or when.
    In What Decade?

Oh sorry It's Pretty on the Inside.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Kendall Goad Guest

I knew there was a good reason why I joined this board.
    This has been a great learning experience.
    I appreciate all the replies. It has been a great help.

Thanks again

Last edited by Kendall Goad; 02-06-2008 at 08:01 PM.

I think that top cover is from my old bbq.... from here it looks like there's still pieces of my 4th of July dinner on there.

That's pretty funny how much that looks like grill. I guess since it's GE there must be some crossover to their kitchen equipment.

Kendall Goad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I think that top cover is from my old bbq.
    My BBQ Grill actually looks alot better and it probably gets used more than the A.C.

Timothy M. Barr Guest

Recommend client have HVAC tech examine prior to closing. If client doesn.t It is their problem. The most you can do (depending on weather) is give a visual inspection. One other idea is to check age of heating uint, this could give you somewhat of an idea of age.