Default CSST required at gas applicances

I thought there was a requirement that flexible gas line had to be installed just before a gas appliance to provide some wiggle room during earth quakes. The water heater and attic furnance had CSST installed but the exterior gas pack was missing the CSST. I could not find any mention in Code Check. Don't have complete mechanical codes.

I seem to remember a discussion about the unfitness of CSST for exterior use in this application but could not find the discussion.

Is CSST or similar material required before gas applicances? Any code references?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: CSST required at gas applicances

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I thought there was a requirement that flexible gas line had to be installed just before a gas appliance to provide some wiggle room during earth quakes. The water heater and attic furnance had CSST installed but the exterior gas pack was missing the CSST. I could not find any mention in Code Check. Don't have complete mechanical codes.

I seem to remember a discussion about the unfitness of CSST for exterior use in this application but could not find the discussion.

Is CSST or similar material required before gas applicances? Any code references?
    I think it all depends on the area you are in and what the AHJ requires. Black pipe is OK in my area of TN.

Are you in an earthquake prone area?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The house is in Wake County of North Carolina (category B in the seismic table). Technically the house is located in the city of Holly Springs, which is really an outlying 'burb of Raleigh. Zipcode 27540.

Not sure where to look for gas line rules with regards to seismic tables.

The house is in Wake County of North Carolina (category B in the seismic table). Technically the house is located in the city of Holly Springs, which is really an outlying 'burb of Raleigh. Zipcode 27540.

Not sure where to look for gas line rules with regards to seismic tables.
    I would not loose any sleep over this as it is most likely a non-issue. I would contact the AHI in the area that covers the house and ask them. They will have the final answer.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: CSST required at gas appliances

The house is in Wake County of North Carolina (category B in the seismic table).
    Bruce,

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- R301.2.2 Seismic provisions. The seismic provisions of this code shall apply to buildings constructed in Seismic Design Categories C, D0, D1 and D2, as determined in accordance with this section. Buildings in Seismic Design Category E shall be designed in accordance with the International Building Code, except when the seismic design category is reclassified to a lower seismic design category in accordance with Section R301.2.2.1.
    - Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings located in Seismic Design Category C are exempt from the seismic requirements of this code.

If you are in seismic category B, apparently, nothing applies (the IRC does not apply, seismically speaking, to category B).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Terrific. Thank you!

Earhtquakes..............NC...............with the way the weather has been the last couple of years anything is possible.

Funny thing is if we did have a earthquake now it would be 2012 before the code would change............

Bruce many of the homes have CSST because it much easier to install then black pipe. That is why you don't normally see it except on older homes. Don't have to lug around all that steel and threading machines.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

On newer construction I see black pipe from the meter to the CSST manifold in the crawl space or up the wall to the attic. CSST from the manifold to the top plate or bottom plate. Black pipe in the wall and stubbed out of the sheetrock to within about a foot of the applicance. CSST from the stub to more black pipe with a sediment/drip leg. Basically all the black pipe is standard length pipe so no cutting or threading.

The house is question was 11 months old. Water heater and attic furnace had CSST last foot. Heat pack had all black pipe.

Western NC is category 3 so has to meet siesmic stuff but that is basically Winston Salem and points West.

I was in Fuquay Monday. Fuquay, the best of all the Varinas.

Western NC is category 3 ...

"category 3"????

Seismic is categorized as (least to worst): A, B, C, D0, D1, D2, E.

Western NC is shown as being mostly C, from which detached one- and two-family is exempt. See Figure R301.2(2) continued (on page 31 in the CD IRC).

R301.2.2 Seismic provisions.
    The seismic provisions of this code shall apply to buildings constructed in Seismic Design Categories C, D
    0, D1 and D2, as determined in accordance with this section. Buildings in Seismic Design Category E shall be designed in accordance with the International Building Code, except when the seismic design category is reclassified to a lower seismic design category in accordance with Section R301.2.2.1.

- Exception:
    Detached one- and two-family dwellings located in Seismic Design Category C are exempt from the seismic requirements of this code.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

C, 3 What's the difference.

I guess the exemption is the real answer. Not an issue since most my inspections are in category B teritory.

Thanks for the redirect.

C, 3 What's the difference. .
    Or maybe dyslexic and 3 was really E? BIG difference there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com