Default Wood fired hot water system

Saw this today - pretty cool, but honestly, since it was the first one I have ever seen, there may be many issues that I didn't pick up.
    The Hardy Home page
    JF
    OK, very cool. I entered the web address, and it automatically changed it to The hardy home page

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 02-08-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: cool stuff Brian
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Wood fired hot water system

They have become popular, and also have garnered some complaints from neighbors as well. Too much smoke and soot, I guess.

Outdoor Boiler ban

More Complaints

They have already started rallying for the cause.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

This house was up in the mountains and the nearest home was probably 1/4 mile away. I noticed very little smoke coming out of the flue, and about the same as a fireplace would give off.

The installation instructions tell them to place it no closer than 100 feet from adjoining houses, and extend the flue above "their" roof line.

There was a little covered patio next to this unit, and I didn't notice any soot or discoloration on the painted surfaces (it was painted white), and the flue was less than 10 feet away.

First one I saw was in NC mid 80's radiant heat using an anti-freeze mix.

He said anti-freeze got hotter than just water.

Neighbor across the pond had one also.

On really cold nights I would notice someone loading it at about1 am.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

My dad built his own probably 15-20 years ago and has improved on it several times, that is what he uses to heat his house with.

He started with a salvaged wood fired infantry field heater the army was selling and now has progressed to an enclosed one in an insulated building which retains the heat almost until morning when the fire dies down during the night.

NO, I am not going to go there, he is a full grown man and he can do what he wants.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chad Fabry Guest

I built this in 2005 and finally got it installed this year. I load it twice a day in weather above 20 degrees and three times if it's colder. It heats 4,000 square feet of old house and all the domestic water.

700 gallons of water storage, 1/2 plate steel tank made on site, 1/2" plate fire chamber 6 feet long 30 inches high.

Water temps are controlled by combustion air which is controlled by thermostat.

Almost 200 lbs of rod used and dry weight is 4,200- 4,600

As far as smoke..once the fire is hot just a wisp is visible.

Picasa Web Albums - Chad - Chads Boiler

Last edited by Chad Fabry; 02-09-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: .

James Duffin Guest

I built a wood boiler/heater in the late 70's and found that unless you have free wood brought to your house already cut to length it is cheaper per BTU to burn fossil fuel to heat with. It is good exercise though.

Scott Thelen Guest

I am from a small town in Michigan and these heaters are poping up all over. One of my brothers just ordered one and My other brother (who farms) has a shelled corn burning unit whichs works similar to the wood burners he put up a 200 bushel (approx) holding bin that feeds into the burner as it is needed. He had some problems at first with the feeding system but it seems they have worked out the kinks. I would like to add that it is worth the extra money to put in good water transfer lines so as to not lose all your heat on the way to your house or shop. I believe the upper end lines run about $10 bucks a foot.

Scott