Jerome W. Young Guest

Default recirculator outside pan

thoughts on this ? code problem?

this is on the second floor / wood flooring/
    The recirculator drain etc is outside the protection of the pan.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: recirculator outside pan

Well... I can tell you what I'd tell the client: I've seen leak in a similar situation (homeowners gone for two weeks) drip onto the floor, soak the sub-flooring, travel down the hallway into two bedrooms and a bath destroying the flooring and swelling the sub-floor below an interior load-bearing wall along the way sufficiently to lift the story and roof above 1/2", partially separating 8' of jacks from the hip rafter.

Sorta' got my attention.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    thoughts on this ? code problem?
    Code? No, code does not attempt to address stupidity.

Problem? Michael described on outcome well. I have not seen that happen, but I've seen floors damaged, that in itself is enough of a "problem".

Did I mention the "stupid" factor?

Also, that look like NM cable running where there should be a cord and plug set, or the NM cable needs proper protection.

I'm betting that if you opened that T&P valve and let it flow, you would have water splashing out all over the place outside that pan, and, in a very short while that pan would be overflowing. That needs something like this to shut the water off - TACO - HVAC

It also needs (not required by code but 'should have') a proper air gap indirect receptor and separate drain line sized to handle the full force flow from the T&P discharge line. Couple that with shutting off the water supply to the water heater and their risk of leads has been reduced (not eliminated, "reduced").

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks like the WH is in direct contact with the pan also.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Looks like the WH is in direct contact with the pan also.
    Hmmmm ...

I asked A O Smith if their water heaters were allowed to be 'partially submerged' in those pans, this is because the drains for those pans are about 1" above the bottom of the pan, leaving 1" of water in the pan in which the water heater sets until the water eventually evaporates.

Their answer was 'No, we have NO water heaters which are allowed to be installed 'partially submerged'.

I know of another inspector who asked A O Smith if their water heaters are allowed to be installed down in the pan as shown in their installation instructions.

Their answer was 'Yes, that is how we show it in our installation instructions.'

Hmmmm ....

Guess it all depends on how the question is asked?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've seen too many of them with rust on the exterior to think it is ok. I personally write them up as not recommended.

I know Ford does not recommend their vehicles to be submerged. It causes rust.

rick