Default Opinion on stair construction

Stairway at enclosed porch, feels solid when walked. Other than the rotting supports resting on the foundation ledge, what comments (if any) would viewers here make with regard to the non-standard construction?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Opinion on stair construction

Awful skinny header plus should not the under side of that stair be rocked?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I can't tell much from the photo, but the stringers look to be attached to a stick built "header" that is free to rotate away from the stringers as force is applied to the stringers. Looks like a recipe for catastrophic collapse when the nails pull out (if there are any.)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hard to tell from just a pic, but Looks o.k. to me, as long as the fasteners are all there. Appears that the loads are all transferred to the floor or ledge below. It looks like the stringers/carrier are notched horizontally to be supported by the framing below. There is a carrier (middle stringer) in the middle which gives it even more support. I alway envision two guys and a refrigerator going up the stairs in situations like this. I am not sure how this could "rotate" since they are vertical loads. Worst case scenario, call out the rot at the ledge framing and make the comment: "Rot at base of stair support, recommend review of the stair system and repair as needed by a licensed contractor" That way you are covered.

- underside of stairs only needs to be covered with rock based on building occupancy classification or if area under stairs is used as a closet/storage area
    - untreated pine is supposed to be isolated from masonry foundation walls. Typically with wolmanized, some people use metal or rubber or ...
    - can't really comment on construction based on photo, except for flat header

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"