Default Goodman quietflex duct defect

Does anybody know if there is any money or company replacement for the defective gray flex duct?
    Specifically goodman quietflex. This is the stuff that disintegrates due to UV exposure.
    I know it needs to be replaced, the stuff is falling apart, but I can't find anything on the web as far as a class action or settlement.
    Thanks, Jim

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Goodman quietflex duct defect

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Does anybody know if there is any money or company replacement for the defective gray flex duct?
    Jim,

Not that I am aware of.

I found lot of that disintegrated Owl Flex (similar stuff) which needed to be replaced. Buyer and seller negotiated it (or, should I say, seller replaced the duct systems or my buyers walked - both happened about equally).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Same here. I've tried to find the same type relief for this mess, to include the "owl" flex ducting only to shoot blanks.

This is a good teaching photo. If there are any relatively new inspectors that routinely see this stuff without finding damaged areas, they need to look further... it's going to be there somewhere.

Rich

I had the same stuff in the house I bought here almost 3 years ago but I was too tight on time to worry about trying to get any help from the manufacturer.
    This is the first time I have come across the Goodman name that was so easily legible. I thought since Goodman is still in business, it would be worth a shot to investigate for my client.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I just sent an email off to Goodman requesting information with those same pictures attached. We'll see what they have to say.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rushing View Post
    This is a good teaching photo. If there are any relatively new inspectors that routinely see this stuff without finding damaged areas, they need to look further... it's going to be there somewhere.

Rich
    Here are some more photos of the stuff.

The giveaway is that gray outer covering ... when you see it, start looking at the outer covering carefully, even try to crinkle it up in your hand. You will typically see 'slices' where it is separating and coming apart, when you crinkle it up, it should still be 'plastic' and not crack or come apart.

If it is 'gray' ... it is the same stuff, regardless of the manufacturer's name on the stuff, if you can still see enough to find a manufacturer's name.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is the response to my email to Goodman Quietflex sales.

Jim,
    This duct has not been sold since the early nineties and as such is
    long since past the warranty period. There is not an ongoing program to
    replace the material.

Thank you

Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:36 PM
    To: sales@quietflex.com <sales@quietflex.com>
    Subject: Goodman Quiet flex duct defect

Gentlemen, Can you tell me if there is any ongoing replacement or
    allowance for defective Quietflex duct? This is the gray jacketed duct that disintegrates in attics from UV exposure.
    See pictures attached. This is original duct from a house built in
    1987 in Plano, TX.
    Thank you for your time.

Jim Luttrall - TREC Lic. #3779
    Mr. Inspector.net, Inc.
    214-383-0519
    Mr. Inspector.Net - Mr Inspector - Allen Texas - Allen
    I guessed as much, but this is confirmation at least on the Goodman product.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

imported_John Smith Guest

They should change the name to Bad Man, just like their AC systems. I did an inspection on a home in January for an engineer that used to work for Goodman in Houston. He told me they were a bad company to work for. Indicated that they used to hire and get rid of hourly guys to meet seasonal demand, and had a real strange management team. Maybe they can do the same for the Amana name, since that is one of their brands now.

Keep in mind this guy was a salaried engineer. They usually get treated pretty well. I know the company this guy works for now, and I know some of his peers. Hes not a whiner, and I believe him.

Richard Rushing Guest

John wrote: [quote] Indicated that they used to hire and get rid of hourly guys to meet seasonal demand {/quote]

John.... every company in the world does that. It's just business. The hiring and releasing of seasonal employees certainly (in my estimation) does not make them a bad company-- bottom line oriented maybe, but not a badly managed company. Now, I'm sure the person of whom you referenced had other information that backs-up the bad company claim, I'm sure that could be another story all together.

Rich

80's wasn't a good decade for housing material, or for the most part the 90's
    Gray duct,
    Poly water pipe
    Composite board siding

and;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Jerry Peck...............

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com