Thread: Electrical

Default Electrical

Is this acceptable connection for light fixture and hot water heater?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Electrical

Nope and nope.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Steinke Guest

I've seen those lights, and I defy one to NOT use the supplied plug. There's simply no way to remove the factory plug. You have no choice but to connect them using the cord and plug.

The same lights -at least the one I saw- also specified that the fixture be hung, and not mounted flat against the ceiling ... supposedly to help with cooling the ballast. Again, with this particular fixture, I defy one to change the ballast, without destroying the fixture.

When the fixture is hung, say, from a chain ... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinke View Post
    ... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.

Not in that Amateur Installed Open Outlet.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Richard Rushing Guest

Yes, the use of jack-chain and suspension of that fixture due to ballast heat-generation is advised. However, as stated, that plug is a safety concern.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinke View Post
    I've seen those lights, and I defy one to NOT use the supplied plug. There's simply no way to remove the factory plug. You have no choice but to connect them using the cord and plug.

The same lights -at least the one I saw- also specified that the fixture be hung, and not mounted flat against the ceiling ... supposedly to help with cooling the ballast. Again, with this particular fixture, I defy one to change the ballast, without destroying the fixture.

When the fixture is hung, say, from a chain ... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.
    Yes, but ...

As the others have stated, *not* with that open receptacle, and, ... *NOT* mounted flat to the ceiling.

*NOT* mounted flat to the ceiling, but instead being (as the manufacturer stated) 'chain hung' makes it 'not' considered permanent, i.e., it can then be cord and plug connected.

John, you are correct about *the cord and plug part*, now, though, you just need to 'consider the other stuff'. But ... you are getting better.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com