David Macy Guest

Default Fireplace Cleaning

I would like to inquire on the proper way to clean a masonry fireplace?

The flue is 8 X 12. I purchased a rectangular 8 X 12 brush. I need to purchase the rods. My home is a ranch with easy roof access.

I have a top of chimney damper cap.
    How is the top of the damper cap attached to the flue? Does the cap just pull off?

How is the smoke shelf area cleaned between the flue and original damper. This is where the majority of the creosote build up is. Do I need to purchase a smaller brush and clean from inside?

I have both dampers installed as I get back drafting at times and this helps with the odors.

I have been paying a professional to clean my chimney. He installed a cozy heater a few years ago.

When I purchased a new set of glass doors I realized he did a poor job installing the heater. I custom cut the openings in the glass door bottom trim to accommodate the blower vent openings & control knob.

He charges about $125 each time. The brush & rods cost about $50.

Thanks for the help.

If you need any photos of the top damper, flue, smoke shelf or firebox I can provide.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Fireplace Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by David Macy View Post
    I would like to inquire on the proper way to clean a masonry fireplace?

The flue is 8 X 12. I purchased a rectangular 8 X 12 brush. I need to purchase the rods. My home is a ranch with easy roof access.

I have a top of chimney damper cap.
    How is the top of the damper cap attached to the flue? Does the cap just pull off?

How is the smoke shelf area cleaned between the flue and original damper. This is where the majority of the creosote build up is. Do I need to purchase a smaller brush and clean from inside?

I have both dampers installed as I get back drafting at times and this helps with the odors.

I have been paying a professional to clean my chimney. He installed a cozy heater a few years ago.

When I purchased a new set of glass doors I realized he did a poor job installing the heater. I custom cut the openings in the glass door bottom trim to accommodate the blower vent openings & control knob.

He charges about $125 each time. The brush & rods cost about $50.

Thanks for the help.

If you need any photos of the top damper, flue, smoke shelf or firebox I can provide.
    I would really hire a GOOD chimney sweep. They have (or should have) the proper vacuum system or guards to keep the soot out of the home. Also if your FP is not drafting properly they might be able to correct it. Heck $125 sounds pretty good when you think of everything that could happen or go wrong with a chimney cleaning job!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

There's a great school in Manchester for learning how to become a professional sweep. Like Scott said recommend a trained & state licensed sweep.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Nolan Kienitz Guest

F/P cleaning is not for the 'faint of heart or maybe height'.

Do yourself a BIG favor and hire a licensed/certified Chimney Sweep.

They will look at many more things than just cleaning the F/P - Chimney.

Well worth the $125.00 ... if the individual quoting the rate is well-respected and has his/her hand "on top of the table"