Thread: attic moisture

Michael Guest

Default attic moisture

hello

My house was built in 2001, it is a two story colonial the roof has arcuteture shingles on it. My attic has at least 12 inches of blown in insulation in it, 6 inches of fiberglass blown in and 6inches of cellulose on top of that. My attic is being vented by soffit vents(with the pink P vents that run up along the roof from the roof line), two 18 x 24 Gable end vents and a ridge vent running across the top of the roof. All of these vents are open, the ridge vent and the gable vents are new installs.

The humidity in the house has been between 35 and 40%. However the humidity in the attic has been 65 to as high as 98%. The tempature in the attic is the same as the tempature outside, within 5 degrees or so. I don't think I have much heat lose from the house because the snow doesn't melt quickly.

Yesterday the tempature reached 50 degrees here in New hampshire and it was raining. The snow covered roof was melting and I went up in the attic and noticed that the sheathing had become very wet and droplets had form on the nails. This is not the first time.

I am at the end, I have had restoration guys and insulation guys here, trying to fix the problem. The restoration guys had me spend $1700 on the gable vents, the ridge vent and to re-route the bathroom exhuaust fan from in the soffit to out the gable end wall. The insulation guy states that there is no problem with the insulation (thought maybe the blown in stuff was holding in the moisture creating condensation). Today the restoration guys are coming to check to see it there is water under the shingles on top of the sheathing from the outside.
    If anyone knows of anything I can do, I am very frustrated and I am scheduled to deploy to Iraq soon and don't want to leave this for my wife to worry about. Here are some pictures of the roof and the attic.

thank you
    Michael

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Michael; 02-19-2008 at 05:30 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: attic moisture

Migrate to an un-ventilated attic space. Close all soffit, gable and roof vents, install spray-on foam insulation in the rafter cavities, be happy.

Aaron

There is a double thread posted.

I would not recommend spraying the underside of the decking with foam. If there is ever a leak you are up the creek in my opinion.

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    There is a double thread posted.

I would not recommend spraying the underside of the decking with foam. If there is ever a leak you are up the creek in my opinion.
    That would be your recommendation; not mine.

Aaron

Aaron

I don't know any applicators in my area that would take responsibility to apply it to the underside of the decking. Perhaps its a regional thing as I live in Ontario where we experience winter conditions for at least 4 months of the year.

Cheers,

Aaron Miller Guest

Raymond:

I responded on the other side of this post to simplify things.

Aaron

Let's keep all the comments together on the other thread, the one with the photos, and is posted where it should be, allowing this duplicate thread to close without further comments regarding the post - go to the other thread to do so ... for the benefit of all.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Guest

How do I delete this thread, I didn't mean for this to be in two places....
    My apolizies......

Go to bottom right were the little button says Edit. It will open a window wherein at the bottom right it says delete.

Michael Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Go to bottom right were the little button says Edit. It will open a window wherein at the bottom right it says delete.
    Hello Raymond

I try but didn't have a delete button.......

Michael I guess thats because you are not a member.

You might want to put a link in this current post upto the real discussion.

Cheers.

Actually I see that you are a member. In which case I would just put a link to the current active discussion.

Don't know why you cannot edit.

Cheers.

Michael Guest

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-moisture.html

Please use this link to acess the thread that is current.

thank you