Eric Shuman Guest

Default Unconventional ridge/valley

The instersection of the ridge/valley at this roof makes me a bit nervous. Seems like water could get under those ridge shingles fairly easily with the right stituation in play.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Unconventional ridge/valley

For starters, it's hard to tell in the picture, but are all those roof planes 4/12 or greater?

In any case I sure hope there is waterproof shingle underlayment under there all the way down from the ridge at that right hand valley, because I share your suspicion that water is going be driven up under the edges of the shingles to the left. Also looks to me (would like to see a picture from below) like that detailing at the bottom of the left hand valley is likely a problem as well.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-19-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Whoever designed that roof configuration should have their pencils, slide rule and drafting paper removed from their possession as it is "BUTT UGLY!" Properly installed underlayment will probably keep the house dry, but then again who knows?
    The Shadow may

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Rod Aparicio Guest

Guys,

Is it me or do I notice a small indentation/sag on the roof? Look at bottom right hand corner of the photo....just off of that at about a 45 degree angle. Do you guys see that? How was the roof over all Eric?

Thanks!

Rod,

Yes, it does look like that, doesn't it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Definitely going to leak, especially with snow and thaw cycles. The shingles should have been continued through the valley up to the ridge creating a typical lap joint, not cut as it appears in the photo. Unless they have a continuous ice/water shield running through the valley to the ridge it won't last. Depending on what kind of inspection you are doing, consider giving client info on roofing procedure options and checking warranty paperwork. If you lift shingles (carefully) at gutter line you can sometimes determine if they put down ice/water shield or just #15 felt.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Aparicio View Post
    Guys,

Is it me or do I notice a small indentation/sag on the roof? Look at bottom right hand corner of the photo....just off of that at about a 45 degree angle. Do you guys see that? How was the roof over all Eric?

Thanks!
    Is that a sag or yet another change in the pitch. Looks to me like the pitch increases there and the lower level has a less steep pitch.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Whoever designed that roof configuration should have their pencils, slide rule and drafting paper removed from their possession as it is "BUTT UGLY!" Properly installed underlayment will probably keep the house dry, but then again who knows?
    The Shadow may
    My guess, someone who is qualified didn't design this!

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer