Kirk Hersee Guest

Default Odd Shaped Decks

What is the best method for measuring oddly shaped decks. 1st off, I find it difficult to draw the angles correctly to fit properly on my graph paper, so when I get to the other end of the deck, it never seems to fit correctly. I have included the approximate dimensions, hopefully someone could shed some light on an "easy" way to do this. Thanks, Kirk

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Odd Shaped Decks

I don't have an answer for you (I have built weird-shaped decks before). But I am curious why you need to draw the deck on graph paper. Are you required too?

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Measuring odd shaped areas - like this.

However, as JB asked ... Why?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

JP's way is the way I would do it, but why do you need to measure it. Let the buyer measure it. Early on, people would ask me if I measured square footage of the house. I decided that I didn't want to be in the middle of an argument over whether a house was 2200 or 2250 square feet.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Kirk,

Are you wanting to do the drawing on a graph for a WDI report?

I never actually draw the deck fully on my graphs but note the deck location.

rick

Our WDI reports specifically say that the drawing doesn't need to be to scale. The drawing you posted is more descriptive than anything I've ever put on a report. Usually, it's just a rough sketch with some circles and arrows.

If it's for some other purpose or if you must know the exact dimensions the only way to do it is to break it down to shapes/sections with known formulas to calculate area.

Or, we could just break out the calculus and integrate

Kirk Hersee Guest

WDI? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that or what it stands for. I have to draw a diagram of the dimensions of a dwelling and its attached features (decks, porches, etc . . . ). They are required by the client. I use graph paper to keep the dimensions to scale as I have to take this home and submit info concerning foundations per parts of a dwelling (basement, crawlspaces, slabs). I have seen assessor diagrams that square off most decks that are shaped oddly; I guess it's ok for them. But, the company I work for and their client (in this case Mass Fair Plan) requires as much precision as possible. Thanks JP for the break down. I figured it was that way, however, the issue of getting the angles correct still stands. I'm considering picking up a cheap protractor and measuring the angles that way. Couldn't hurt. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Hersee View Post
    WDI?
    Wood destroying insects. Termites and their evil cousins.

Kirk,

Measure the perimeter in some pattern, such as shown in the attached drawing - marking the measurement points (not drawing lines). When done measuring, draw the straight lines first by connecting the dots, that puts you drawing straight lines on straight graph lines, making it easy enough to do - leaving the angled lines off until the end.

That makes it easy to draw odd shapes.

Start on one point and measure your way around the deck, picking out places to measure to, and, as shown for 5, sometimes measure to make sure you are measuring at right angles.

Than, for the angles, simply draw the angled lines from the points you mark on your graph paper, completing the odd shape.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com