Default pvc pipe from pressure relief

I came across a white pipe off of a tpr valve today that looked just like pvc. Of course, I thought it was wrong but for some reason I knelt down to read the pink writing on it. It said it was rated for use as a pipe off a tpr for any unit up to 100,000 btu's.

I snapped several pictures but, as most of you can relate to, trying to snap a picture of small pink writing on a small white pipe doesn't always work.

It wasn't stamped with any recognizable brand or type of pipe, just that it was okay for use as I noted above.

Has anyone run into this stuff? If so, what is it? I've just always assumed when it's bright white it's pvc.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Kevin Luce Guest

Default Re: pvc pipe from pressure relief

I can't remember if I seen them a Home Depot or Menards. Cheap and easy to install. They have one that is designed when the TPR valve is on the side of the water heater and one that is designed when the TPR is on top of the water heater.

Note sure what it is made of.

I've seen it but I don't know much about it. I figured since it is marked, it must be OK.

bruce

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

In addition to just stating it was okay for that use, it should also have had some standard or approval numbers, such as ASTM, ANSI, ICC, "something" to indicate it had "third party" testing and approval by some authority.

If all it had was writing stating it was okay to use for a T&P discharge pipe, I would write it up for the plumber to make appropriate repairs or to provide documentation that this is suitable for this use.

Many times, if the plumber is not familiar with the material, instead of spending time to find the documentation, they will just replace it. If they have already had to supply this documentation to the AHJ, they will just whip out that documentation and say something to the effect of 'Jeez, I've already given this stuff to the plumbing inspector, how many more people do I have to show it to?' (Answer: Anyone who asks for it. That's the perils of using non-standard material and trying to save 50 cents.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jake Guerrero Guest

Did it look like this?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It could have been white PEX.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

That pipe Matt's describing sounds like the thin PVC or polyethylene TPR extension tubes sold at home centers.

I'll try to find a photo of one later.

Dom.

John Allingham Guest

Smile Re: pvc pipe from pressure relief

That's pretty much all we see up here.
    BTW, keep the kids away or they'll end up with hot tootsies.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Aaron Miller Guest

Jake's picture is likely Harvel series SDR PVC that is rated at 140° F. and not an approved material. That installation also shows threaded fittings in the line which are not allowed.

John's picture has a number of problems with it not the east of which is that the drain line is undersized and likely not an approved material.

I don't see anything being used in my area other than CPVC, the most of which is both undersized and improperly installed.

Aaron

Jake Guerrero Guest

I had to go to the orange box this morning due to a leaky sink strainer basket.

While I was there I think I found what Matt was referring to. There is not any type of listing stamped or printed on the pipe itself.

It reads: Hand Tighten Only T&P Valves With 10,000 BTU Or Less Rating AllPass

I snapped a couple of pics with my phone.

John Allingham Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    John's picture has a number of problems with it not the east of which is that the drain line is undersized and likely not an approved material.

Aaron
    Beg to differ Aaron. In Ontario everyone rents their water heaters from the gas company. This is the way they all come from the utility.

Aaron Miller Guest

John:

In Canada the gas utility may be the code authority and also override the TPR valve manufacturer's installation instructions. ASTM, UL et al. many not mean squat in the land of the midnight sun. That is not the case here in the land of the IRC.

Aaron

Jake,

What did it say off to the left in your first photo? "#1548.........."? Then something else I cannot make out.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jake Guerrero Guest

Jerry, that number doesn't show up in the original photo I have either.

It's a sticker with the home depot item number and bar code.

Aaron Miller Guest

I found this on the Watts Canadian site. Maybe this is the creature?

Aaron

http://www.wattscanada.ca/pdf/ES-100DT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Guerrero View Post
    It's a sticker with the home depot item number and bar code.
    Jake,

I thought it might have been some kind of standard number, but it wasn't.

Saying that it can be used for a water heater T&P relief discharge line is like saying one can use a gun to shoot oneself with - it's not recommended, but, sure, it *can* be done - just not a real good idea.

Not sure there is a law against shooting oneself either, I mean, who are they going to charge for breaking the law - the dead body? "Hey, you there, laying on the floor, you are being charged with discharging a fire arm in the vicinity of one's head, leading to and causing the death of oneself." Yeah, right.

At least, though, with the white pipe, the code says don't use it for that unless it has been tested, listed, and labeled for that use, and, if you do use it when it has not been tested, listed, and labeled for that use, *YOU* are at fault, and *YOU* ain't "dead". (Not "you" as in you personally, but as in "you" being whoever did it.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Saying that it can be used for a water heater T&P relief discharge line is like saying one can use a gun to shoot oneself with - it's not recommended, but, sure, it *can* be done - just not a real good idea.

Not sure there is a law against shooting oneself either, I mean, who are they going to charge for breaking the law - the dead body? "Hey, you there, laying on the floor, you are being charged with discharging a fire arm in the vicinity of one's head, leading to and causing the death of oneself." Yeah, right.
    Maybe we can get Diamond Tony to test this gun theory for us . . .

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    Maybe we can get Diamond Tony to test this gun theory for us . . .

Aaron
    Aaron,

I think Billy is the one who has a good picture of the gun Tony should test ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

I think Billy is the one who has a good picture of the gun Tony should test ...
    This one?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I was in the big orange box today and saw the same discharge line, It did not look like regular pvc though... Watts was listed as the manufacturer but I did not see any standard listing number on the pipe.
    I'll check on the Watts site.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This is from the Watts site.

100DT
    Drain Tubes for Side-Mounted T&P Relief Valves
    Size(s) :
    3/4 in. (20mm)
    Description:Series 100DT Drain Tubes for T&P Relief Valves are used on gas, electric, or oil fired residential water heaters to safely drain water discharged from the heater's temperature and pressure relief valve. It connects to the drain connection on a side-mounted relief valve that has up to 100,000 BTU/hr. rating, and has a drop length of 48 in. or 72 in. Series 100DT hand tightens to relief valve outlet, requiring no special tools or fittings. UPC and IAPMO listed, ASME A112.4.1 approved. Meets Department of Housing and Urban Development requirements. Maximum Working Pressure: 15 psi (103 kPa).
    BTW these did not have threads on the discharge end although the shorter one had an outer sleeve that could look like threads in a picture.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Aaron Miller Guest

Billy:

Now that's what I'm talking about . . .

Aaron

Billy,

Yep, that's the one.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Patrick Martinez Guest

Cool Re: pvc pipe from pressure relief

Hey Matt,

Jerry Peck hit it on the money as it requiring to be "listed", that said, if it does not meet the UL listing it shall not be used.

I did see some comments re Canada and the States, as to the Good Ol' U S of A, the T&P discharge line should be smooth bore to its point of discharge, no threaded points to its termination, other than its point of attaching to the T&P directly.

Also, there was some PEX piping showing on one set of pics as noted by the crimp rings...PEX is not an authorized material for T&P relief valves.

Anyhow, just throwing my two point five cents into the mix.

Take care,

Pat